Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About Product Keys And Activating

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kaiselius

Kaiselius

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:45 AM

Well, I'm not to good with small talk so lets get right down to it.
I'm going to be ordering a new laptop next month, but all of the systems I've looked at only come with vista. Now one of the things I'm going to be using this new laptop is to play an mmorpg on it(not to mention that my current laptop is ancient). I've been playing this game on a console for the last few years and wanna try it with better graphics/framerate, but the problem is this game and vista aren't sopposed to play well together.
Now I have an oem disc for windows xp, but I used the product key on my current laptop when I upgraded it from 98(like I said, ancient). I'm going to be erasing this current laptop and giving it away to be refurbished, will I be able to re-use my oem disc to downgrade my new laptop and use the product key to activate it or am I gonna have to feed ms more of my money for a new oem disc(or is there away to get just a product activation key cheap)?
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this kind of questiong and thank you for any answers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:08 AM

Hi Kaiselius and welcome to motherboards.

What make and model of laptop are you interested in purchasing? Are you located in the US?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kaiselius

Kaiselius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:31 PM

Ya, I'm in the US. I'm strongly leaning towards a customized HP dv9500z-model.

#4 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

your cd and product key are good for your ancient laptop
meaning you can reformat as many times you want

but if you use your xp cd and product key on another computer
you will have 30 days to activate windows
but to do so you will need to purchase another product key from them

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:45 PM

No.

OEM versions of XP are tied to the Original (hence the O) system installed upon. If that system is retired or whatever, that license is still tied to it. The only variation is when a user/owner replaces individual components of the same system on file and there may be a need for telephonic verification even then.

As for feeding MS more money...you don't have to use Windows (there are alternative operating systems). If you feel that you need a free O/S, do some research and try a few.

And...Dell offers any number of computer systems with XP as the O/S of choice.

Louis

#6 Kaiselius

Kaiselius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

All right, thanks again.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:29 AM

I went looking for information at the hp web site and it looks like they are locked into using Vista, that's too bad. Hopefully M$ will have a service pack other than the beta version out soon.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users