Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could This Pci I/o Be My Nic?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:12 AM

Hey Folks,

I've been getting this connection drop-off for months now, and despite trying all sorts of basic to radical steps, am still being intermittently and inexplicably cut-off from the Web.

Folks in the Windows 2000 Pro OS forum reckon it might be a problem with my NIC.

I've found out today that NIC means a Network Interface Card, and since the only card that I've installed is a 3-Port USB 2.0 + 2 Port ethernet PCI I/O card about a year ago, is this the same thing? I mean, is my NIC the PCI I/O that looks very similar to this picture:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/Search...&CatId=2658

Click on the picture to enlarge what mine also looked like.

The router is plugged directly into one of the three USB 2.0 slots.
The ISP insists there's no problem with the line.
The connection will suddenly cease regardless of what I'm doing (although active torrents already connected will stay connected until the other computer goes away). Whereas Firefox and IE will suddenly report either a timeout error or a Problem Finding Server message.

To fix, I need to pull the plug from the USB slot of the Card, wait, then re-plug. Or reboot the computer and (for good measure) reboot the router by switching off/on at the mains.

If I don't reboot, the System Log on reconnection can report up to 2 of any 3 DHCP Warnings (ID's 1003, 1006 and 1007), often followed by 2 Server Errors (ID 2504 and 2505 relating to an inability to bind to the router on NetBT_Tcpip, and to NetbiosSmb - the latter due to "a computer with same name being on my network" (a 'newtork' of one computer connected to one router via USB)).

So, is this PCI I/O card my NIC?

And if it is the root of my connection problem, what the heck do I do please?

Thanks guys.
Rob
(the one who knows from experience that:
1. ignorance combined with minimal wealth + plenty health is, in fact, bliss;
2. asking questions becomes dangerous when they're answered; and,
3. eating too many chips wont make you into a FAT32).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:53 AM

That's a card that adds USB ports to your computer. A NIC card uses a Cat5 cable Some older ones also used a coaxial connection. The connector type escapes me at the moment, but here's what it looks like thisPIC Slightly larger than a phone connection
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 14 October 2007 - 09:54 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:07 AM

Hi Mark, I don't have any connections to my computer using that type of plug.

The only thing that looks remotely like that is the 'phone cable going from the router to the 'phone socket.

So, is my NIC in the computer somewhere?

Or is it in the router, perhaps?
Rob

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:33 AM

There is a disconnect if idle feature that could be causing this. Right click on Internet Explorer, click on properties, click on connections Tab, click on settings, click on Advanced, there will be a box there next to disconnect when idle make sure there isn't a check mark in that option.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:42 AM

If your router is connected to a USB port then that USB card is your "NIC". It is not a real NIC but it is doing the job of a NIC. This is not an ideal situation though. I've seen a lot of complaints about issues related to running networking over USB. I would get a real NIC and connect the router to it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:17 AM

You would need to add this to a PCI slot in your computer and this cable to go from the computer to the modem
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:43 PM

Thanks guys. I'll try one suggestion at a time, and report back on results.

There is a disconnect if idle feature that could be causing this. Right click on Internet Explorer, click on properties, click on connections Tab, click on settings, click on Advanced, there will be a box there next to disconnect when idle make sure there isn't a check mark in that option.

Did Right Click on IEv.6 > Properties > Connections Tab > then I get a wee bit 'fluffy' as my box doesn't then go, "...click on settings, click on Advanced, there will be a box there next to disconnect when idle..."

This is what I found in the connections Tab.

There's a big white space to enter "Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings" which I've left blank because it's an ADSL broadband router with VoIP.

The other bit below that box has "Local Area Network (LAN) settings" so I clicked on the button for "LAN settings".
This took me to a new dialogue box called "Automatic configuration".
None of the three available (plus one unavailable) check boxes were checked. The three option to place a tick in the box are:

"Automatically detect settings"

"Use automatic configuration script"
and,
"Proxy server: Use a proxy server for your LAN"

Since I don't know what the last two mean, I placed a tick in the "Automatically detect settings" > OK > OK > crossed my fingers, toes, legs and eyes in the hope that'll work.

What d'you reckon guys. Have I ticked the right check box? Or do you need more info?

Thanks y'all.
Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users