Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maxtor One Touch 3 Iii 600gb Dead?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eksempel_123

eksempel_123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:55 AM

I've had my external Maxtor One Touch 3 600gb for a couple of years now. Worked like a charm. Until yesterday, when my friend came over to me with his computer. He needed some of my photos from my external Maxtor. So I unplugged the firewire cable form my Mac (firewire 400, 6-6pin) and connected it to his machine (PC). Nothing happened. We tried the USB 2.0, but still no connection. Checked all the cables, rebooted everything. So we thought it was just his computer that had gone bad. I connected the disk back to my mac, but no connectivity there too!
When I turn on the external drive, the light stays on, and the fans are at maximum speed. I can hear one of the drives start up, but it wont connect to any computer (tested with 2 computers, One mac (with OS X and bootcamp windows pro) and one normal PC with windows pro). I've checked in Device manager, Computer management and "Systemprofile" for Mac OS X. The hardrive simply wont connect/show up anywhere. As if the cable was cut off (it isn't).
Is there any way to fix my drive? If it's not, how can I recover the 300gb used data?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

Does Windows acknowledge the drive when you plug it in the USB port by making the USB Safely Connect thingie start? If so, check in Device Manager to see what the device is listed as under the USB section. If it doesn't recognize it at all, then I'd suspect that things aren't too good with the drive.

If it doesn't connect that way, then you'd have to resort to opening up the case and attempting to connect the drive directly to a PATA or SATA port on your system (shut the system down and unplug it before doing this). Also, ensure that the drives are jumpered correctly for the system that you're using.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 eksempel_123

eksempel_123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:55 AM

No, Windows does not acknowledge the drive at all. And I cant put the harddrive into my machine because its a mac. But is it possible to buy a new harddrive case (with sata) and then extract the old HD to the new case?

Edit: Found out I can put the HD into my friend's computer. But I dont risk anything by opening the maxtor and put the HD into a computer?

Edited by eksempel_123, 15 October 2007 - 03:36 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

Yes, there's a risk in opening up the case - but without doing that you won't be able to access the hard drive. There's no assurance that there's anything recoverable there either - that can only be determined by accessing the disk or sending it off to have the data recovered (major $'s).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users