Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Iexplore.exe A Friend Or A Foe?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:49 AM

When I try to type in a URL in Internet Exporer Zone Alarm comes up with a dialogue box that asks whether I should allow or deny iexplore.exe access.

It tells me that IE attempts to monitor my activities. Clicking on "more Information" tells me that that this programme is "potentially malicious" and that it "attempts to set a Windows hook without a specific thread".

I have always assumed that this application is an essential part of Internet Explorer 7. Is Zone Alarm being draconian and I have nothing to fear? In fact, refusing access could complicate my surfing. Or should I try and do something about it, including "refuse access"?

I find the constant popping up of the dialogue box irritating but more than that I value my safety.

In the past I have always had good advice here. Any comments you make will be gratefully received.

My thanks as always.

(Windows XP)

Edited by Reena, 14 October 2007 - 06:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:07 AM

This depends on the location of the iexplore.exe that it's talking about. Search your hard drive for iexplore.exe and let us know the locations that it's found in.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

Have you just recently downloaded Zone Alarm?
Here's how it's listed in my program control:

Entry Detail
Product Name Windows Internet Explorer

File Name C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplorer.exe

Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

It's not unusual for IE to try to connect to the Internet.

But the important part is...what program is initiating IE (in an effort to get to the Internet)?

That't the info your firewall should be reporting to you. It's mindless to report that IE attempts to connect to the Internet, since that is the sole purpose of IE.

Maybe you need a better firewall...

Louis

#5 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

Apologies for my late acknowledgment. I was waiting for e-mail notifocation which did noy work! I certainly did not expect such quick replies.

I have searched for locations and found quite a few. I cannot Copy and paste for some reason; well can copy but refuses to paste.

iexplore C:\ProgramFiles\Internet Explorer

iexplore C:Windows\4NtServicePack uninst....

iexplore.exe.mui C:ProgramFiles\Internet Explorer\e......

C:\Windows\ie7updates\KB928090

ditto but KB31768

ditto but KB933566

ditto but KB37143

ditto but KB030653

iexplore C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

iexploreC:\Windows\$hf_mig$\KB931768-I

ditto but KB939653iexplore

iexplore C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\...

ditto

ditto

I have Zone Alarm Pro, Bit Defender, Spyware Terminator,Advanced Windows Care, Spyware Search & Bot, AVG AntiSpy and AVG Anti-Root installed.

Hope this information helps.

#6 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:07 AM

I did not recall but on checking my topics I see that I had a similar problem way way back. Apologies for bothering you all with the same question. I have followed the advice given previously and would have done so earlier had my memory not let me down!

My thanks

(is there a Smilie with a red face?)

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:00 AM

Use the "fast reply" and scroll down a bit. click on the smiley and there are all sorts
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Can you provide a reference to your previous thread (for others who may have similar situations)?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users