Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disc Space For C Drive

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mar4

mar4

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:45 AM

Is it possible to get more disc space for my c drive? I'm using windows 98 and my computer is a compaq presario 1670. I clean out my files all the time but the message keeps popping up. Any ideas?
Thanks, Mar4

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:01 AM

What size hard drive do you have now? How much space is lused\unused? Do you have many non-apllication files on your computer, like mp3, photos, applications that are not installed?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:01 AM

the message keeps popping up

Precisely what is the message?

How much free space is there on the C: drive when this happens, and how much can you gain with a cleanup? What method are you using for the cleanup, Windows own Disk Cleanup option? What is the size of your C: partition, and any other partition(s) that make up the total drive complement?

Sorry about so many questions, but it helps to know what we're dealing with.

I assume you've emptied Recycle, and cleared out Temporary Internet Files as part of the above cleanup, how much of the drive are those two set to occupy?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,964 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:03 AM

Snap, Acklan (including the MVP :thumbsup: )

Edited by Platypus, 14 October 2007 - 01:04 AM.

#5 mar4

mar4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:25 AM

I'm using the windows disk cleanup. I also use ccleaner, and yes I clean out the temp files/recycle bin. The message that pops up is "you have run out of space in hard drive c" My total memory is 128 megabytes. C hard drive has 2.820 GB. I have a compaq presario 1670 processor AMD-K6 tm -2 with 350 MHz.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,964 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:29 AM

The total size of C: is 2.8GB? That would fill readily. How much free space is available before and after you run cleanup?

#7 mar4

mar4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:34 AM

Right now there is 44 MB free

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:41 AM

Ouch! 2.8 GB. Your best option would be to purchase a new drive, or at least a second drive. You can pick up an IDE\EIDE drive for about $20.
EIDE Hard Drive

I would not spend too much money on that computer. Not that it is a bad computer it is just you could buy a much better computer for as little as $100, if you were to look around. Try to stay with a name brand, Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital. Stay away from No Name, House brand, Generic.
This I believe is your best option. You just do not have much hard drive there to play with.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,964 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:42 AM

That will definitely cause problems. Do you have a D: partition that is also part of the hard drive? ie you can store files on it, and your CD/DVD drive is the E: drive or similar? If so, it may be possible to transfer some of the contents of C: to it, or with more difficulty, enlarge the C: drive using part of D:.

Also, being Compaq, have you examined the C: drive to see if any Compaq installation folders or unnecessary software are cluttering up the drive? I was able to gain quite a bit of space this way when I got my Compaq laptop.

#10 mar4

mar4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:54 AM

My D capacity is 1.20 GB. 664 MB is used. The odrives I have are A, C, and D. There is no E drive. When I look into my c drive, I'm not sure what files might be there that are unnecessary. The same goes with compaq installation folders. i don't want to delete anything that I'm not quite sure what it is to begin with.

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:01 AM

Check these specs at HP. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...=reg_R1002_USEN
You will need a 2 1/2 inch ide drive, no larger than 20 gig. I found this at newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822146040 There may be a D drive listed in My Computer, this is normally the recovery partition. Here is the link to all software and drivers available from the compaq web site for windows 98: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...p;product=95220
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#12 mar4

mar4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:28 AM

What do you think I should do? If I get the ide drive where does it go? Will that solve my problem? Or do you think I need to bite the bullet and buy a new computer? The thought of that sends shivers down my spine, but I have to do something because my printer won't even print because of the lack of disc space. I appreciate the links, but I still am not sure what things to delete.

#13 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:00 AM

Getting a newer, larger hard drive will give you more space, but based on what you said earlier, you have the floppy drive, and the hard drive. your cd-rom is not showing up. Personally I would bite the bullet on this if the cd does not work, based on the age of this laptop. from what I remember, the laptop was made in early 1999. As far as installing the hard drive, you will have to remove the keyboard and the palmrest on the top of the laptop. the hard drive is located inside underneath the palmrest.

#14 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:49 AM

The fair market value of a 350 mhz laptop with 64 megs of ram is about 50 bucks, if that!
I would not spend any money on it at all.
It would cost you more to upgrade it than the system is worth.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#15 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:15 PM

Actually, I found one on ebay with a starting bid of 24.99.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users