Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command Prompt

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:05 AM

Hi Anyone,

Just that question there, how do you merge 2 partitions using command prompt?

John
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:51 AM

You can use fdisk - but that'll delete everything on the partitions (because you'll have to delete the partitions and create new one's)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:55 PM

Norton makes a program called 'Partition Magic' which allows you to merge partitions without losing data (although it does tell you to back-up everything on the HD before attempting to merge, which you should be doing with crucial data anyways).

I've never tried it myself, but it is made by a reputable company like Norton and I think it's worth a try.

Good luck!
music, music music...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:51 PM

You can't, if one of those partitions is the C: partition.

Command prompt commands don't include anything that will do that particular job. I don't think even FDISK will work on the partition in which it is already located...although I've never tested this one :thumbsup:.

You can merge two partitions of any type, size, etc. by using 3d-party software, as previously stated.

You can move all your data files to another location and use the XP CD to delete all existing partitions, but that entails a clean install of XP, all updates, and all previously programs.

Louis

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:52 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. Command Prompt for DiskPart seems to be pretty tricky to use. I've just spent more time than I care to admit to just figuring out how to access the operation. But that is only to get the fist step to happen.

You apparently don't string the instructions in one line for DiskPart commands. You type "DiskPart" then hit "Enter" just to get started using the operation. That took me over an hour to figure out, finally finding this in some Microsoft knowledge base files under XP's Help Files.

Of course I've been stuck right there for the last 20 minutes. Every time I go to give the commands for DiskPart a "Focus" then hitting enter I just get a list of commands for DiskPart.

So I'm at a loss as far as what to do here.

Does anyone know of a good instruction guide - a video "how to" for using DiskPart commands on Command Prompt? You know the "For Dummies" Guides?

I have used Acronis for this kind of thing but I've always found that they have their own glitches that usually end up in total re-installs.

I thought that if I stuck to what Microsoft included that I may avoid all that?

So, any kind of recommendation will be good, a good site, Internet Course or even recommending local courses, (where cities in general might have the best public courses for this kind of stuff. Thanks.

John

PS OH, it isn't on my "C" drive. It's on my secondary IDE OS drive.

I want to merge a 8 MB partition letter "J:" to my second OS partition "D:".

I have no idea why this 8 MB partition was made in the fist place. When I went to partition my 500 GB drive this 8 MG partition was created out of the blue? I re-did the partitions but it was made a second time. Then I went a head and installed my 2nd OS on the "D:" partition thinking that I could merge it later once figuring out how Microsoft does it?

Well you know how that's going.

Edited by Johnz414, 14 October 2007 - 04:02 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:02 PM

Those 8MB partitions (not really partitions on my systems, just used space) come about when creating partitions. I've never seen them reflected in Windows Explorer or My Computer but I do see them (sometimes) when I install XP or wipe a partition (using XP CD or DI 2002).

I've always thought they were related to my creation of logical partitions, but it seems that they just are used for partition overhead.

I've never used DiskPart, but all necessary instructions should be in the Recovery Console (accessing by typing command, then HELP).

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...t.mspx?mfr=true

From what I read, the XP command does not have the flexibility that the Vista DiskPart command has. I don't think you can do what you want to do if you're using XP.

http://itworldtips.blogspot.com/2007/06/wi...partitions.html

Louis

#7 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

Patition magic will do the trick. It's very frendly and Windows compatible, you can load it in Windows and make the changes and then it will restart your PC and do it's magic. I've used it and have had the two scenarios. I lost all my info and I've changed the size and all of a partition and not loose a single file. So backup is a must.

Not familiar with doing this in cmd, but I will sugest PartitionMagic. Great workaround.

Not a free software though.

Mav

#8 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:00 PM

Thanks Mav

But Already stated above

Maybe read before post :thumbsup:
music, music music...

#9 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:48 PM

:flowers:-->
QUOTE(mike b @ Oct 14 2007, 07:00 PM) View Post
Thanks Mav

But Already stated above

Maybe read before post :thumbsup:[/quote]

Sorry if my opinion/post offended you (the only reason I would have posted something like the thing you posted). I'm just trying to post my opinion on a software I have used and has messed my PC several times.

You stated you have never used it, I have.

And believe me I read your post and all of them before I post.

Mav

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:34 AM

Johnz, have you found the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590

It sounds like in your situation, if you have an 8MB partition showing as J:, you could delete that partition in Disk Management, it would then become unallocated space. By running DISKPART, then typing List Volume, Select Volume n, (according to how D: is numbered in the list) then Extend, the disk may be extended to take up the unallocated space.

I say "may" due to the provisos, stated in the article. Some are specific to DISKPART, others are general to any partition management software - for example the space to extend into must be contiguous with the existing partition ie a continuation immediately from its edge. Also, it's not clear to me what is meant by D: being your second OS partition - is it a dual-boot system? If so, DISKPART may not be able to extend it as it would be a system partition, and also may have a swapfile on it, both restrictions.

I believe the small unallocated space is left to allow for overhead required if the drive is ever to be converted from a Basic disk to a Dynamic disk. If I've understood this correctly, reclaiming it may prevent a future conversion to a Dynamic disk, something you're unlikely to miss I suppose.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users