Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean/reinstall Me

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Aussie Ness

Aussie Ness

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:34 PM

Hi Everyone
I am donating my old computer to someone who can't afford one and want to clean it up before I give it to her. Obviously it has had lots of programs etc on it over the years. I have a shiny disk that says Windows Me and that's all I can find. How do I uninstall Me and reinstall it? Is it as simple as putting the disk in and following prompts? I can't connect it to the internet either.
The computer is very slow and would probably benefit from being freshened up. Currently everything has been removed via Add/Remove programs or deleted. Once it's like new, I want to put OpenOffice (via USB) on it for her, so she will be able to type up resumes etc. I don't know if she will be connecting to the internet either.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.
By the way have searched for this but can't find exactly what I need help with in laymans terms.
Ness
Ness

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:11 PM

That should be no problem. If you do not have the 25 digit Key that is required to reinstall ME be sure to use a utlity to recover it. If you don't the install CD in no more that a drink coaster. like Belarc but the stand alone utility Magical Jelly Bean works as well.
If you really want a good fresh install I would conduct a Quick Wipe with Kill Disk. It will destroy any malware on your computer.
Once you have done that you will need to partition and format your hard drive. This sounds involved but it quite easy to do.
Go to Boot Disk.com and download the ME boot disk. It will allow you to partition and format your drive.

How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or Repartition a Hard Disk

If you have problems just post here and we will be glad to help.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Aussie Ness

Aussie Ness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:12 AM

Thanks for your reply acklan.
Ok, so I got the key with the Magic Jelly Bean. Great little app that one.
Now, my question is why do I need to partition? I looked at the "How to partition etc" link and it all scares me. I have no idea what most of it means!
While I get my head around that am downloading killdisk to a floppy.
Ness

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:56 AM

The easy way would be to simply format and install ME, but I have found that in some cases a simple format does not remove at of the old software.
If you are intimidated by the partitioning process then fore go it and just format the drive. If you use Kill Disk you will have not choice but to partition the drive. Wiping the drive remove the partition and format in the process.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Aussie Ness

Aussie Ness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:40 AM

Well, I'm having a shocker of a time getting the killdisk. Maybe all my floppies are bad.
So if I forgo the killdisc and partitioning.....do I now just load the disk and follow prompts?
(Am also baking, picking up kids, getting washing off the line etc. so takes me a while to get back to you!!!)
Ness

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:54 AM

Are you having a problem downloading it or booting from the fdd? If it is the later you will need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that the floppy disc drive is the first device in the boot order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Aussie Ness

Aussie Ness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:07 AM

Hi dc3
I wasn't sure what exactly to download so went to download.com and got it there, then downloaded to my XP and when I tried to load into the old Me computer there was nothing to extract???
Am really out of my depth here so figure maybe just a reinstall of Me will freshen it up ok for the new users.
Just reading the words BIOS and DOS etc. confuse me!!!!! :thumbsup:
Ness
Ness

#8 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:21 AM

As everyone said, make sure you've got your Win Me serial number first. And make sure you've made a Windows Me floppy boot disk. It's been so long I've forgotten where to go in the computer to make it. Probably in the C: tools area. But you can download a Windows Me boot disk here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

This is how I've reinstalled Windows Me many times.

You didn't say what brand computer you have, but when I've worked on older HP/Compaq machines, I couldn't get into the BIOS to change the boot order. It just wasn't there for me to see it. Apparently the computer was pre-set to search the drives at startup. If it found a boot disk in the A drive, then that's what booted first. So if you're afraid to go to BIOS, try that. If it's not already pre-set, then you'll boot to Windows regardless if the floppy is in the drive because you'll probably be told to take it out. If that happens, then you'll have to find out how to get to your BIOS so you can change the boot order.

Once you get the boot floppy working the way it should, you want to choose "Start Computer with CD-ROM support". When it does this, it will temporarily change the drive letter for your CD-ROM where the Windows Me disk will be. If you only have one, then it will probably be changed to E: drive. The drivers will load, and you'll eventually find yourself looking at the A:\ prompt in DOS.

If you're not going to partition the hard drive, you can skip fdisk.

At the prompt you will be ready to format the C drive where you'll reinstall Windows. Type in "format c:", without the quotes. It'll look like this:

A:\>format c: (there's a space between format and c:). Click Enter.

You'll probably be asked if you really want to do that. Say yes and click Enter again.

Depending on the size of the hard drive, you may want to sit there mesmerized and watch it do its thing, or go get a big cup of coffee and come back later.

When it's finished formatting, you should be back at the A:\> prompt. Now it's time to install Windows. If you forgot to put the Windows Me cd in, you can do this now. Wait till the drive stops blinking and then type E: after the A prompt and click Enter. (Looks like this; A:\>E: and Enter) Again E is your CD-ROM drive, or whatever letter it was changed to.

Now it looks like this:
E:\>
and you're ready to start the Windows Me setup. Type in win9x\setup.exe and press Enter. It'll look like this:
E:\>win9x\setup.exe

There have been times when all I've needed was setup.exe and didn't need the win9x\ at the beginning. So if nothing happens or you get a bad command message, try just the setup.exe.

Sometime during the setup it'll ask if you want to make a Startup floppy. You can skip that, since you already have one or go ahead and make it again so your friend has one.

I've never had any problems with parts of old software sticking around as acklan mentioned.

Good luck!

#9 Aussie Ness

Aussie Ness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:05 AM

Hi mommabear.......thank you for your input. I was working on it last night but I think I only reinstalled. Am pretty sure it didn't wipe first and now that I've read your post am quite sure it was only a reinstall.
Anyway by Windows Me floppy boot disk do you mean Windows Me startup disk??? The one you make in the computer at some stage during the process?
The computer is listed as Intel Genuine in the system properties and has a Global logo on the casing so am not really sure what brand it is.
Is bios where you tap F8 on start up (like when you want to go into Safe Mode?)
This may take me days as I'm a fairly busy kid at the moment.
Thanks
Ness
Ness

#10 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:11 AM

Yes. It's the same floppy. Startup or boot disk. The key to tap to get into the BIOS can vary. On my computer I have to tap the Delete key when I start up. You may have to experiment.

Here are some possibilities.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

This page will give you an idea of what it looks like, but they all look different and are set up different. For example, in my BIOS I have to go to some advanced settings (which I can't remember right now exactly what it says) to find my boot order.

http://www.cyberwalker.com/article/28

Maybe someone else can direct you to some better pics.

It's better that you take several days than rush it. Trust me. lol!

Edited by mommabear, 15 October 2007 - 07:14 AM.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:52 PM

Maybe this one is easier to understand
BIOS survival guide
Another FDISK guide
http://fdisk.radified.com/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 Aussie Ness

Aussie Ness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:05 PM

Hi everyone...finally I get a chance to have a go at reformatting the old computer and I think I'm in BIOS. My problem now is I can't work out how to change the boot order. There is 13 items on the menu.

Standard CMOS setup
BIOS features setup
Chip set features setup
Power management setup
PNP/PCI Configuration
Load BIOS defaults
Load Performance defaults
Integrated Peripherals
Supervisor Password
User Password
IDE HDD Auto detection
Save & Exit Setup
Exit without saving

Can you point me in the right direction?
Ness

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:51 AM

It's in BIOS feature setup You use the up and down arrows to get to it, click enter, then page up and page down buttons to make the change. When you exit the BIOS don't forget to "exit and save changes"
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#14 Aussie Ness

Aussie Ness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

Thanks garmanma, I really appreciate it.
Now I have Boot sequence: CDROM,C,A
So I guess this means it will boot in that order??? What do I do now? Do I type over these with something else?
By the way...I have looked at this thread and the links and I'm nervous that I'm not understanding it all. I don't want to assume I totally get it and then jump in and stuff it all up.
Am I right in thinking at the moment we are changing the boot order so that Windows doesn't load and I will instead be using the Windows Setup floppy to erase windows?
I hope I'm on the right track. What a learning curve!
Ness

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:32 PM

I just reread the entire post. ME cannot boot from the CD. Change your boot order back to the floppy (A:\) to be the first.

Go to www.bootdisk.com and download the Windows ME bootdisk to a floppy

Here is a site that describes it in simple terms: http://www.winsupersite.com
I believe you should have no problems
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users