Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Mobo / Old Hd

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:59 PM

Hi,

After determining my mobo has bitten the dust see here, before I go down the road of hunting for a replacement mobo to install and use the same components, I need to know is it possible to use my old hard drive witch has my XP O/S and all the programs already installed on it?

I have all the disck etc from the install with the old MoBo and was just wondering is it just a case of installing all the drivers from the XP CD again?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
JTH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YoungL

YoungL

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:03 PM

If the XP installation was an OEM version then no it will not be possible as far as I am aware, unless you contact Microsoft and I believe they sometimes make exceptions.

If you place your hard drive on a new motherboard I believe you will have to reinstall windows XP, you may be able to save your settings but I am not sure on that... Im sure someone else will know though.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

upon restarting the computer with the new motherboard installed you will need to re activate windows. You can do this on the web or by the phone you will need your original licensing key handy.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,666 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

Follow the procedure here mate:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

Edit: everyone posted at once... :thumbsup:

You'll be required to re-activate Windows, and as said, if the Windows is an OEM version, yes, the licence may be considered by Microsoft to have expired. When it is up and running again, install the drivers for the new board from the supplied driver CD, and update all security patches as mentioned in the Microsoft article.

Edited by Platypus, 13 October 2007 - 08:12 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:08 PM

I would take this opportunity to get a clean installation on a new system and install your old HD as the second drive in the new system. As long as the programs you use will run on Vista, I'd use this as your Vista move, as well.

Then re-install all the programs that you want/need, and copy the data (not the programs) from the second drive.

Take good care of your old HD - it is essentially your most current data backup.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for your fast response guys.

All taken on board - I'll try Platypus' way for the moment as It's not an OEM version, however, it's sound advice from Johnwho also. I will do this as an exercise as $40 for a "Socket A" mobo is a cheap way out ATM but I will make the jump to Vista on my next build sometime in the next couple of months - I might start writing letters to the "North Pole" with a component list attached :thumbsup:

Thanks again guys :huh:
JTH

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:14 AM

when you change the motherboard you should plan on reinstalling the OS as well, in most the OS will be have problems recognizing the new motherboard resulting in damage to the OS. This article has some useful information regarding this problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

Thanks dc3 - all taken on board. I'm going to ghost my drive and use the image to have a crack at it.....only as a learning exercise. I have decided to upgrade and build a new system anyway.

Cheers
JTH

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:14 PM

Here's some tips on moving a hard drive or motherboard when XP is already installed on the drive: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:18 PM

Here's some tips on moving a hard drive or motherboard when XP is already installed on the drive: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Great minds think alike! :thumbsup:

"This article has some useful information regarding this problem."

Edited by dc3, 14 October 2007 - 11:19 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:14 AM

Now , now boys..:thumbsup: ..thanks to both
JTH

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:19 AM

Boys!?! Please...respect you elders. :thumbsup:

I hope we helped.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

Boys!?! The next thing you know, I'm gonna be asked for an ID! That hasn't happened in many a year! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users