Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Issue

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 YoungL

YoungL

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:52 PM

Hello.

I just setup a new system. The system specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
2x1gb OCZ PC2 6400 OCZ2P800R22GK
ASUS P5K AiLifestyle Series iP35
Sapphire HD 2600XT 256MB GDDR3
Coolermaster IGreen 500W PSU

I first noticed a problem with the setup when I began installing Vista, kept getting a blue screen. I removed one memory module to test if it would work... No problems, worked perfect and installed fine.

I then thought I would test the memory...

Windows Memory Diagnostics:

Individually each stick passes again and again and again.
Together it hangs at different places each time... usually on Stride6 test. However has also failed on WINVC test and INVC test.

One time I got the following error message come up:

TRAP 0000006 EXCEPTION tr=0028 cr0=

I cannot work out why it works with one module but not both... I have tested both idividually and both together individually both seem to work... together they hang on memory diagnostics every single time.

Thanks for any help and assistance on this matter!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:09 PM

If the motherboard is setup for dual channel mode for the memory and the sticks aren't matched it will cause a problem. Check your memory settings in the bios.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 YoungL

YoungL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:14 PM

The memory sticks are exactly the same and were bought as paired modules.

The motherboard has 4 memory slots.

a1, a2, b1, b2

It recommends using either a1 or b1 for a single memory stick
a1 and b1 for two memory sticks <- this is the setup I am using. Both with identical memory sticks.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:19 PM

Dachew may have some other suggestions on this one. He seems to be the memory expert here on the forums. Have you tried Memtest ?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 YoungL

YoungL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:22 PM

I have not yet tried memtest, I will give that a go tonight. Thanks for suggesting it. Thanks for your help so far!

Edited by YoungL, 13 October 2007 - 08:22 PM.

#6 YoungL

YoungL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:19 PM

Memtest hangs also.

Gets to
Pass 10%
Test 20%
Test 5# [Block Move, 64 moves]
Testing: 112k - 2048M 2047
Pattern:
2672 Mhz
L1 Cache: 64k 43797 MB/s
L2 Cache: Unknown
Memory: 2047M 17461 MB/s
Chipset:

Didnt know what information to include so posted just about all that it shows on the screen. Just completely freezes. Same as it does on Windows Memory Diagnostics.

Please help!! :thumbsup: Just wanna use my new system! lol

#7 YoungL

YoungL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:37 PM

ran memtest again and this time at 9% pass the entire screen filled with /AEWk repeated to fill the entire screen. All seems strange to me

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:50 PM

If both sticks work individually, but cause problems when used in pairs, you might have a bad memory slot.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:24 AM

Wow I totally missed that option :thumbsup: . Have you tried the ram in different slots? I am assuming when you use only one stick they work in slot 1 try different slot combinations, and if the board is new exchange it for a new one.

Edit: sometimes it just takes a fresh pair of eyes.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 14 October 2007 - 04:24 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#10 YoungL

YoungL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:04 AM

Just wanted your opinion on the following. I have ran Memtest86 again. This time with both memory sticks individually in Slot 1.

Memory Stick 1:
Computer Froze at 4:20 on Test 5 (Block Move) every single time (about 10 times) Three of those times it displayed an error message: "Unexpected Interup Halting, Type: INV_Op" Also came up with about 400,000 errors before I rebooted the system.

Memory Stick 2:
Test has passed twice in a row been running for an hour now with no errors or anything

--

Would it be fair to say that Memory Stick 1 is "Faulty", should I ask for a replacement just yet?

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:19 AM

It would be a fair assumption that the stick is bad I would ask for a replacement.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:24 AM

If the memory test freezes on one stick and not on the other - I'd say it was safe to assume that that stick was bad.

I'd return it for new RAM, citing the failed MemTest as evidence that it's defective.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 YoungL

YoungL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:26 AM

I am going to request a replacement now then. Thanks for the help... Ill let ya know how it works... if it doesnt then I dont know what I will do! lol I just hope it is that.

#14 YoungL

YoungL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:33 PM

Just wanted to thank you for your help. eBuyer tested the memory modules and found them to be faulty. I recieved the replacement pair yesterday and ran Memtest-86 with both of them in for 8 hours and no problems what so ever. Seems it definately was faulty ram and now my pc is all up and running brilliantly.

Thanks for all your help!! :D

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:52 PM

Glad it worked :thumbsup: . Happy computing
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer