Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Install On A New 750gb Disk

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ron123

Ron123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

I am finishing a new build and using 750 gb hard drive with Vista Premium. Will I be able to create several partition/volumes? Can I choose the sizes? What are some recommendations of the number and sizes of the partitions? Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

If the drive is new with no existing partitions, you'll be able to specify the size of your system partition during the install. I'd suggest select a size adequate for all you wish to install onto the system, (perhaps 32GB?) but avoid simply accepting to use the entire drive. Limiting the size of the system volume makes cleanup/mainenance and backup much simpler. Once Windows is installed you can create however many data partitions you want from the remainder of the drive, either one 700+ volume or more smaller ones. Again, several partitions can help with organising & backing up your data, at the expense of slightly more complex drive arrangements during saving, searching etc.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 d3k0y

d3k0y

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:56 PM

I agree with Platypus. I am constantly downloading and trying different software and have lots of media on my computer. I typically set one partition at around 30-40GB for windows and create 1-3 other partitions for media or other operating systems. The great thing about putting your OS on a different partition than media is that you can reinstall the OS if you run into a virus or other problems (registry and such) and don't have to worry about transferring all your media again. Cheers.

d3k0y
"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?'"

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici..."

"Not much really" - Sidis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users