Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot.ini File

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:27 PM

Hi Anyone,

I have 3 OS on 3 different hard drives, 2 IDE and 1 SCI.

Is there a way to get the boot.ini file to recognize all OS on your PC automatically.

I've gone to msconfig to see if I could do this at the BOOT.INI tab there but no luck. It only checks the OS listed to see whether or not it's OK.

So, I've done some creative copy, pasting and "save as" to try to include the other OS in the boot.ini file. The boot.ini file will recognize the IDE OS but not the SCSI OS.

This is what I've listed in the boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

As I mentioned I tried including the SCSI OS as:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

But the boot.ini file didn't except it.

What am I doing wrong here?

In previous instillation's this worked maybe with a bit different wording though. So, what am I doing wrong here?

But really isn't there a way to update the boot.ini file automatically?

Anyone?

Thanks.

John :thumbsup:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:46 PM

I would:

Go to Recovery Console...run cfgboot command to see list.

Then run bootcfg to rebuild.

But you may want to:

Start/run/msconfig...click boot.ini tab...push Check all boot paths button.

Either one should accomplish desired goal.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:55 AM

It depends on the OS's that you're using. In general, Windows will only recognize Windows OS's

But, there are ways around this (such as this article for Linux): http://linuxgazette.net/issue36/larriera.html

If any of the OS's aren't Windows, I'd suggest posting in that OS's forum for answers from people with more experience that I have (I shy away from other OS's myself). http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/76/operating-systems/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users