Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had Download-bew - Mcafee Suggested Hijackthis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 shellyinoh

shellyinoh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

I was having computer problems over a week ago. I turned the computer on and immediately noticed that many of the permanent icons on my bottom toolbar were gone. It also took sometimes 5 minutes to get to a webpage.

I have McAfee so did an update and full scan and it found nothing. I always use Ad-Aware and Spybot. Someone suggested Avast and it found nothing. A week later I was still having problems. Updated McAfee and went through two full scans and it found nothing. Someone suggested a program called AVG. I know I'm not suppose to run two different anti-virus programs at the same time, but I knew I had SOMEthing and was reluctant to disengage McAfee to run this AVG thing I never heard of.

As soon as I started the AVG program, I started getting pop-up notices from McAfee saying it found files infected with the Downloader-BEW trojan. AVG kept running, and McAfee kept finding them, alerting me, and deleting them. In McAfee's log files, the 'detector' listed for all these files was "AVG Anti Virus".

I went to McAfee to find out more about this trojan. It says it comes with a file called abc123.pid I searched my computer and it was still there. I went to their online helpdesk and was given instructions via email on how to boot to dos and run a full scan that way. When it was done, I searched for that abc file and it was still there, resting comfortably in my TEMP directory.

I went to their online help forums this time and was given a link to SuperAntiSpyware. I downloaded it and it immediately found a trojan it called downloader-gen/suspicious and it quarantined it. That abc123 file was still there, so I just deleted it myself seeing as no other program was.

I'm still worried that I might have something, since all I've read about this downloader-bew states that it sits in your TEMP files and if deleted it regenerates itself. It was suggested that I download and use highjackthis and post my log somewhere.

I read all the instructions here but must've missed whether I was to attach the log file or just cut'n paste it here. I went ahead and attached it.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:02 PM

Hello Shelly,

Someone suggested a program called AVG. I know I'm not suppose to run two different anti-virus programs at the same time

I (as well as MicroSoft, McAfee and Symantec) recommend that you DO NOT have more than one anti virus product installed and running on your computer at a time.

The reason for this is that if both products have their automatic (Real-Time) protection switched on, then those products which do not encrypt the virus strings within them can cause other anti virus products to cause "false alarms".

It can also lead to a clash as both products fight for access to files which are opened again this is the resident/automatic protection.

In general terms, the two programs may conflict and cause:

1) False Alarms: When the anti virus software tells you that your PC has a virus when it actually doesn't.
2) System Performance Problems: Your system may lock up due to both products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

Therefore please go to add/remove in the control panel and remove one of these.
Avast Antivirus or McAfee Antivirus

Reboot your computer, and post a fresh Hijackthis log. Please do not attach any logs, as that makes them hard to read.

Edited by SifuMike, 24 October 2007 - 06:07 PM.

If I've saved you time & money,
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:52 PM

Due to inactivity, this thread will now be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please contact me or a member of the HJT Team and we will reopen it for you. Include the address of this thread in your request. If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
If I've saved you time & money,
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users