Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:33 PM

Looking for a second HDD as a backup drive. I had an IBM Deathstar setup for that, but it developed the click of death (second Deathstar that has done that to me).

Anyway, I need a parallel ATA drive. I really do not NEED more than 160G, and was looking at a WD 160G 7200 RPM, 8Meg cache drive WD1600JBRT (I've been happy with my other WD drive). But it seems like for just a bit more, I can get a Seagate 500G 7200RPM 16 meg cache drive.

What's the scuttlebut on hard drives now-a-days? Does Seagate make a good drive? The specific model I was looking at is the ST3500641A-RK. Any/all recommendations appreciated.
Derfram
~~~~~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

I have switched from deathstar/ibm/hitachi and maxtor to seagate. Been real lucky so far(2 years). Whatever you do try to get a drive that's sold a lot of units and has lots of good reviews. Every manufacturer seems to have runs of drives that die early from time to time. Western digital has a good track record recently.

Edited by DaChew, 13 October 2007 - 04:45 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:02 PM

Seagate is currently enjoying a great reputation and has the longest warranty with three years. I'd go for the seagate.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:24 PM

Seagate is currently enjoying a great reputation and has the longest warranty with three years. I'd go for the seagate.

If you're talking about internal drives Seagate's warranty is actually five years, which is rather awesome, longer than anyone else's far as I know.
Maxtor's are good also (also owned by Seagate now) and I believe their warranty is 3 years.
Posted Image

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:59 AM

If you're talking about internal drives Seagate's warranty is actually five years, which is rather awesome, longer than anyone else's far as I know.
Maxtor's are good also (also owned by Seagate now) and I believe their warranty is 3 years.

Dyslexia rears its' ugly head again. Correct...five years. After Seagate purchased Maxtor they increased the Maxtor warranty from one year to three.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:56 AM

Western Digital also has 5 year warranties on their drives. Western Digital Warranty Policy and Limitations
I use nothing but Western Digital after several drive failures. I own 4 Western Digital drive that are over 6 years old.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:00 AM

I read an article once that stated that handling during shipping was probably a major contributor to premature failure even with the good drives. I got all my seagates refurb from newegg before they switched to UPS from fedex. There are advantages to buying drives from brick and mortar stores if they weren't tossed off the truck.

Edited by DaChew, 14 October 2007 - 06:00 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:16 AM

I only use Western Digital drives on my systems and have done so for at least the last 7 years. During that time I've had one failure (a 500 gB MyBook). Western Digital tech support was great - even to shipping me another drive (to recover my data to) before shipping the failing drive back to them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 boris003

boris003

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:14 AM

Me too. I just use Western Digital drives and have many good experience on them. Recently I picked up my Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 320GB Hard Drive. It has a great reputation and has the longest warranty. I got it for only $90, I think I paid what I got.

Edited by KoanYorel, 19 March 2008 - 08:28 AM.
to remove Spam link

#10 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:20 AM

Western Digital get my vote, IBM's, Hitachi's Samsung's have all caused me problems.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:09 PM

Today was dead hard drive day at work - I'm starting to think that there's a higher incidence of failure with the Hitachi/Fujitsu laptop drives - and quite a few of them today were SATA drives.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,736 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

Just to pop back in here... Looks like I'm going to end up with the 160G WD drive. It's really more than I need (my current 80G drive is only half full) and the sale I was looking at on the Seagate ended last Sunday.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:37 PM

Get a 120gb and a 60gb. Use the 60gb to store a mirror image and partition the first 60\60. C: for OS, D: for data, the second drive is hidden as E: ( or Z: as I put one of mine) for the backup to make a mirror of C:. It case of primary hard drive failure you can reconstitute your system. It will run you another $30 but you might find it useful.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users