Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Does Not Function

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 batlep1

batlep1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

My System Restore doesn't function either. I tried all the obvious things and even Reinstalled SR in WinXP Pro.
Any other suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 batlep1

batlep1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:09 AM

Here is how I reinstalled SR, but to no avail.
Marty

How to reinstall System Restore in Windows XP?
Published: Nov 21, 2005
Send your feedback
Introduction
System Restore is one of the most useful tools available in Windows XP, which can help you restore the computer to an earlier state, when a problem occurs in your computer. There are situations where you are required to reinstall System Restore in order to restore its functionality. This article explains how to reinstall System Restore using the INF file.
Caution: The following procedure will remove all the existing System Restore points, and resets the System Restore drive monitoring options to defaults (monitors all drives by default.)
Reinstalling System Restore
1. Click Start, Run and type %Windir%\INF
2. Locate the SR.INF file. If you have configured Windows Explorer to hide known file extensions, the file may show up as SR. To see the file extensions for all file types, then try this:
On the Tools menu in My Computer, click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box.
3. Right-click the SR.INF file, and then click Install
4. Windows will now attempt to reinstall System Restore, and may prompt you for the Windows installation source path. Point to %Windir%\ServicePackFiles folder, or insert your slipstreamed Windows XP (matching the Service Pack level of your system.)
5. System Restore core files will be reinstalled. Restart Windows when prompted.
Notes
Alternately, you can reinstall System Restore using the following command line:
rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %Windir%\Inf\sr.inf
Slipstreaming process can be automated using the Freeware AutoStreamer utility. You can download the software from here: AutoStreamer. To do this manually, look for other Slipstreaming guides here.

***********************************************************************************

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:31 PM

See if one of these helps:
How to troubleshoot the System Restore tool in Windows XP
System Restore Restore Failures
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:33 AM

If you go to

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/94393/system-restore-wont-work-error-1075/

you will see that I had this problem back in June. It became a "hot topic" and I had lots of good advice from people including Nick and John. With their help I managed to solve my problem and you might find some of the advice given there helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users