Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted A/few Registry Keys That I Shouldn't Have

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 learnmore

learnmore

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:08 AM

I'm using Pro edition. My dvd-rom stopped reading my cd's telling me that they were not formatted for windows, meanwhile these discs worked fine on other windows machines. I worked on a few basic solutions none of them worked. I was following steps from something I google'd. I was trying to delete upper/lowerfilters for my drives and I think I wasn't paying close enough attention to the path and perhaps deleted the wrong upper/lowerfilters. I'm unable to login after windows loads, because my mouse/keyboard is not responding. I tried using other input devices from around the house and I still can't login. I can get in my bios menus. So I can't log in windows and if I could I don't know that I could reformat because my drives are telling my windows cd is not formatted for windows. Thanks in advance.

Oh and also, I am in the IRC channel if any of you want have real time dialogue.

Edited by learnmore, 13 October 2007 - 11:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:25 AM

XP Pro repair install
Go into the BIOS and make the CD player the first boot device. You will need to re -download all the Windows Updates if this is performed
Mark
I should note this will only work if you have the XP disk, not a recovery disk

Edited by garmanma, 13 October 2007 - 11:28 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 learnmore

learnmore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

It looks like my bios doesn't want to save any changes. Save to CMOS and exit setup? Y and.... it just hangs.

edit: Probably time for a new motherboard I guess... :thumbsup:

Edited by learnmore, 13 October 2007 - 12:00 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:22 PM

Try resetting the CMOS first. Either by removing the battery or the CMOS jumper
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users