Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Much Is Too Much & How Much Is Enough?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wish2learn

wish2learn

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:30 AM

Hi,

I was reading a thread where half the posters argued that Avast was better than AVG because it found problems that AVG didn't and vise versa.
I was wondering if it was a good idea to have both programs and run them alternately so as to be sure you had better coverage. I currently have AVG, Ad-aware SE, Spy-bot search&destroy, Zone Alarm, and Windows Defender. I update and clean regularly but am concerned about worms or malware that might go undetected by some of the programs.
(I have plenty of space and RAM, and want the best protection that freeware can provide.)

What is your opinion?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:21 AM

There are two problems with having more than one Anti-virus on your computer.
1). You must be careful to have only one application running real-time protection to avoid major system conflicts as well as computer sluggishness. This does require some user discipline.
2). You must be very careful to review any malware found by one AV, because these may be part of the other's definitions file, etc..

A careful and cautious user of the Internet probably only needs one resident AV, whose real-time protection will cover most of the current malware. Moreover, there are several very good on-line AV scans that can be used as a double-check, thus avoiding the pitfalls of duplicate resident AVs.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 wish2learn

wish2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:05 PM

Thank you John,

I am unemployed at present and so I must make do with freeware which is anyways well rated. But as far as I understand 'real time' protection is the paid for versions only?
The free on line scans seemed like a good idea until I read the level of user commitment to the site publishers. It seemed both Trend Micro and Microsoft retain the right to access and transmit information from your computer in return for the favor, and Microsoft want you to pay in advance for anything they may decide warrants a charge. In both cases their seemed to be a lot of strings attached, but I'm unsure.

Any opinions on these or others?

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:30 PM

AVs like AVG (and I think Avast from memory) both offer real-time protection; AVG scans downloads and E-mails and will prevent you from accepting malicious files. Free does not mean shoddy protection.

On-line scanners: many Members have used the ones listed here:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I do not mind, if I trust an on-line scanning source to scan my hard drive in the first place, for them to have some data if there is a clear reason for it. I do not use any MS application for computer security, since there are far superior ones available.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 wish2learn

wish2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:35 PM

Thats a good link...
Many thanks for your input.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:49 PM

Dual installation is not always possible because some anti-virus programs will detect the presence of others and may insist they be removed prior to installation.

Most anti-virus vendors recommend that you install and run only one anti-virus program at a time:
Symantec's statement.
Avast's statement.
AVG's statement.
Dell Support advises the same for their systems.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users