Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programmes I No Longer Use

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ABCDuckegg

ABCDuckegg

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 12 February 2005 - 04:54 PM

I'm not sure whether I'm in the right forum, but for the hell of it I'll go for it lol. Like most folk I download a programme for its 30 days trial such as like privacy protectors to destroy info etc, or just normal programmes, but when I have been going through windows folder on my HD I have noticed I have had quite a hell of a lot of folders of these long gone (soo I thought) programmes. When I have opened them some have had techie stuff to me, so don't know whether its safe to delete the folder and the junk in it or not. I have usually deleted with add/remove at the end of a trial or the company has taken it off when I haven't coughed up the readies. Should I be able to get rid of these things if I don't use them and haven't done for months and in some cases years. It was just the thought that some had the little filing drawers or machine cogs in and being a thicko it frightened me right off. Can anyone advise me on this. Thanks in advance
cheers,
John :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2005 - 05:16 PM

Yes go ahead and get rid of them. I do. There is no point of them hanging around, taking up space.

BTW You might want to check this out. I use it and love it! :thumbsup:

CCleaner

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization tool.

CCleaner (bleep Cleaner) is a freeware system optimization tool. That removes unused and temporary files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster, more efficiently and giving you more hard disk space. The best part is that it's fast! (normally taking less that a second to run)

Cleans the following:

Internet Explorer Cache, History, Cookies, Index.dat.
Recycle Bin, Temporary files and Log files.
Recently opened URLs and files.
Third-party application temp files and recent file lists (MRUs).
Including: Firefox, Opera, Media Player, eMule, Kazaa, Google Toolbar, Netscape, Office XP, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and more...
Advanced Registry scanner to remove unused and old entries (includes backup).
Including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more...
This software is completely free and contains no Spyware or Adware.

I leave recycle bin out of the cleaning process. Just in case I change my mind. Long ago I found out the hard way to let things sit for awhile. Untill I was sure.

Edited by scarlett, 12 February 2005 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image

#3 ABCDuckegg

ABCDuckegg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2005 - 06:18 PM

Thanks Scarlett, I'll download it and give it a go. I must admit opening the folders and seeing the filing drawers and cogwheels in em put me right off lol.
Cheers,
John

PS: Just one minor query if you don't mind. How do I get the font, size, color etc to work, I tried it in another thread and all I got was the dos type writing and no size change or color or font change; just like this
ta!.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2005 - 06:31 PM

Duck, Please whenever you are deleting items. Make sure that they are just leftovers from an un-installation of a program that you installed. Like the free trial programs you mentioned. Nothing more.

:thumbsup: This should help.

[B][I][U][FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=red]If you do it like this.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/I][/B]

It will look like this.

Edited by scarlett, 12 February 2005 - 06:34 PM.

Posted Image

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 12 February 2005 - 09:07 PM

I can tell you that some trial programs leave files on your hard drive so they can reference them, in case they are needed.

Just as Scarlett said, they can be taken care of with the appropriate program.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2005 - 09:34 PM

Trial programs sometimes leave behind a file that preserves your settings in case you decide to buy. They also leave behind indications that you have already tried the free version so you can't get it again. These are usually in your registry also. Ccleaner may or may not remove those. You could look through the issues list to see if it mentions an uninstalled program that you recognize.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:31 PM

Under > Issues > Obselete software.

I will stress that if you scan for Issues. It asks if you wish to make a backup. Do this. As this scans the registery. I name it CCleaner and add date done.
Like this. And then send it to your desktop. Keep it there till you feel it could be deleted safely.
CCleaner_21305
Posted Image

#8 ABCDuckegg

ABCDuckegg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:39 PM

Thanks folks for your kind advice. I've downloaded the CC cleaner now,so will give it blast. Cheers,
John

#9 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:13 PM

It's good i saved 12.5Mb space on my hard drive.

Izzy.

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 11:24 PM

That is really good; the leaner the hard drive, the better for your system. Don't forget, now that you have deleted all that "stuff," to defrag your hard drive.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users