Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incompatible Antivirus Software Vista Won't Open To Remove

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JessicaF1021

JessicaF1021

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:03 AM

Help me please. I have Vista Ultimate. I installed McAfee total protection 2007 and it's coming up incompatible. I can't get on internet explorer to download any updates to make it Vista compatible. I can't even uninstall the program. As soon as it comes up it shuts itself back down. I was going to try safe mode but can't seem to get it to come up. Anyone that knows anything that might help, please write back. I'm anxious, frustrated and desperate. I'll try anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:39 AM

McAfee Total Protection works on Windows 2000 through Windows Vista. I'm not sure why your having the incompatible issue.
http://us.mcafee.com/root/package.asp?pkgid=274

You can use the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool. However, why not contact Mcafee Service and Support for assistance before attempting to remove. They may already have a solution to this issue without you having to uninstall the program.

FYI: "Safe Mode Instructions" if you ever need them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 JessicaF1021

JessicaF1021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:43 AM

I tried using F8 for Safe Mode but it doesn't work. One of the many times I've tried, I got some strange screen that mentioned nothing of a safe mode. I also can't run the Removal Tool on McAfee website because the computer keeps shutting itself off before you can do anything otherwise I'd have uninstalled it already. Does anyone know of a C propmt command that allows you to put the computer in safe mode, uninstall a program without going into Vista, or maybe a command that can stop auto start programs?????

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:59 PM

msconfig will allow you to specify a boot into Safe Mode.

Have you tried right clicking on the installer and selecting "Run as adminstrator" ?

Interesting you should mention that the computer shuts itself off - could it be that you're already infected and the infection won't let you install the antivirus? If so, try this free, online scan to see if it'll help: http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JessicaF1021

JessicaF1021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

I finally got it to work. After numerous attempts, we finally got it in safe mode and uninstalled the software. Thank God! I appreciate both of your suggestions. You're both a comfort in crisis. :huh:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:35 PM

Your welcome. Persistance pays off.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif