Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Completly Fragmented Every 12 Hours

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mitch R

Mitch R

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:49 AM

I have been having a problem with my hard drive fragmenting for a couple of months which is driving me nuts. I have tried everything to get to the root of the problem with no luck. I have a 144GB HD with only 37GB actually being used. When I first start the computer, I have 76% hard drive available but almost immediately that number starts to go down and within 12 hours I might end up with around 30% hard drive space. Only after restarting do I get the hard drive back up to 76% and the cycle starts all over again. I have run spyware & virus scans & chkdisk & defragmenters & found nothing. I am starting to believe there might be a hidden program that is eating up the hard drive space. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:31 AM

Hello Mitch R,

I recently had a similar problem on a Windows XP Pro SP2 system. There was a Global Logger Tracing file at "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\LogFiles\WMI\trace.log" that would grow at a very rapid pace -- sometimes 6 GB (yes, GigaBytes) in less than 6 hours. From the research I did, I could only trace it back to having installed and briefly used BOOTVIS at one time. I long ago removed BOOTVIS, but the TRACE.LOG file kept reappearing (and growing again) after each reboot. I don't really know if BOOTVIS was the cause, and I spent a long time trying to track down any other program/process that might be the culprit (e.g., Computer Management > Performance Logs and Alerts > Trace Logs), but never found anything. I even tried using the TRACELOG.EXE tool from Microsoft, but was unsuccessful -- I don't think it works on XP.

The only fix I found, which was successful, was the Registry edit described at the end of the thread in the following link:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/lofiversion/in...php/t41686.html

Also see "Global Logger Trace Session":

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms797951.aspx

If the above problem is not the same as the situation you are encountering, you might want to download and run the "SequoiaView" utility to identify what is consuming so much disk space:

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:36 AM

From where are you deriving these hard drive space percentages?

From what you stated...that's not a fragmentation/defrag problem. Fragmentation just makes Windows more ineffective in trying to do what it should do, slows down processing.

Using Windows Defrag - http://www.geekgirls.com/windows_defrag.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 October 2007 - 09:39 AM.

#4 Mitch R

Mitch R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:52 PM

M.
Thank you very much for your quick response. It would appear that was indeed the problem. I too had used bootvis a few months ago and it continued to function in the background. I shut it down, deleted the program & all of its registry entries. I also disabeled the wmi service & deleted the wmi log file & that seems to have solved the issue. You hit the nail right on the head. Thanks again for your help

#5 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:06 PM

Mitch R,

I'm glad it worked for you. My only concern is that you said you "disabled the WMI service". On my system, all I did was change that registry entry for WMI global logging, but the WMI service itself is set to "automatic" and is still running. You might want to check if there are other services on your system that depend on the WMI service. I have several such services. The description of stopping the WMI service sounds rather dire if you have other services that depend on the WMI service:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5656/wmi0001arf2.png

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:13 PM

Nice work, M :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 Mitch R

Mitch R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:29 AM

Thanks for the info M. Its actually the WMI peformance adapter that I disabled and there doesn't seem to be any dependent programs listed. But if I have any problems with any of my programs, I can always enable it again. Thanks again for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users