Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Securitiy Toolbar 7.1

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zoman

zoman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:46 AM

hi..:flowers: i downloaded and used 'smitfraudfix' and it almost deleted the toolbar.
the toolbar ,before i used the 'smitfraudfix', changed my hompe page' was unable to remove and gave popups.
after i used 'smitfraudfix', the toolbar is just there and i cant remove it! in the "remove or add programs" it calls "information center" and i cant remove it in normal or in safe mode.
i hope you understood me because my english is sometimes :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:46 AM

Follow up with the two programs below.
Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Please let us know the results.

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Edited by buddy215, 13 October 2007 - 07:49 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:48 AM

Did you follow the generic instructions for using SmitfraudFix in BC's self-help tutorial "How to remove the Smitfraud/Generic Zlob"?
(scroll down to where it says Removal Instructions)
If you have downloaded SmitfraudFix previously please delete that version and download it again as the tool is frequently updated!

If not please do so. If you did, then continue as follows:

Download RogueRemover and save to you Desktop. (compatible with Windows 2000, NT, XP, Vista)
  • Double-click on rr-free-setup.exe to install in C:\Program Files\RogueRemover and follow the prompts.
  • During installation an icon will automatically be created on your Desktop.
  • If the program does not open after installation, double-click on the RogueRemover icon to launch.
  • Select "Check for Updates" and click Download if any are found.
  • Wait for the updates to finish downloading, then Close the update window.
  • Select "Scan" and follow the onscreen directions to remove anything found.
  • If nothing is found, exit RogueRemover.
  • If RogueRemover finds something, it will present a list of detected items.
  • Click on Save log, then Ok at the prompt.
  • Click "Remove selected", then Yes at the prompt.
  • Wait for the removal to complete and then close RogueRemover.
Then download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Reboot in "SAFE MODE using the F8 method and launch SUPERAntispyware.
  • In the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked to reboot, click "Yes".
  • If not, select Close to exit the program and reboot normally.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 zoman

zoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:52 AM

http://www.superantispyware.com isn't working..!!

i went to downloads.com and found this http://www.download.com/SUPERAntiSpyware-F...tml?tag=lst-0-1
is it ok too?

Edited by zoman, 13 October 2007 - 08:05 AM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:11 AM

I just tried it and it worked fine for me. Download the free version.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found on the web:
Go to Start, then Control Panel.Double-click on Internet Properties to modify internet settings.

Click on Programs tab.

Below the window click on Manage Ads-ons

Disable any entries with Security Toolbar or any suspicious add-ons. If it has ActiveX control please delete also.

Then run Super Antispyware in safe mode.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Users have also had success with restoring to a date prior to being infected.

Edited by buddy215, 13 October 2007 - 08:15 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 zoman

zoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:16 AM

Great!! It worked!! But I have 2 questions…
-superantispywarwe is a good program that I should keep in my computer? Or should I remove it?
- My antivirus is "kaspersky internet security 7.0"... Is it a good antivirus?
Thank you!! :thumbsup:

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:33 AM

Now you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
Kaspersky is a very good AV. And yes, keep SuperAntispyware.

#8 zoman

zoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:42 AM

thank you all!!
saved my computer:)

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:49 AM

Your welcome. :thumbsup:

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:55 AM

Yeah, keep SAS. Just update once a week so it will be ready when you need it. No need to have it in startup.
In regards to Kaspersky, some consider it the best.

Edited by buddy215, 13 October 2007 - 09:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users