Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Turns On And Off When I Try To Start Up My Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RangoTheClown

RangoTheClown

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:20 PM

Hello,

I have an hp pavillion a 744 x desktop with windows xp home edition. Last week, I shut it down and left. When I came back several hours later, it was still displaying the "windows is shutting down screen." I held down the power button to shut it off and turned it back on. I then started to notice throughout the week that whenever I tried to restart or shut down my computer, it would freeze when it got to that screen. Sometimes, it also would not boot up. When I try to turn it on, the fan would turn on and off, as if it's struggling to start up. The usual hp logo would appear on the screen and on the bottom it would say to press esc for the boot menu, and a couple other things. Nothing happens when I press any of these keys and the computer won't start up. This happened a couple times and I was able to turn it off by holding the power button down, and then it managed to start up when I turned it on. However, the other day, I installed some updates from microsoft. 'The computer prompted me to restart it so I clicked yes. It froze at the "windows is shutting down screen" so I held down the button to shut it off. Since then, I have not been able to get it to start up again. The fan turns on and off and the screen just displays the hp logo. There was quite a bit of dust in my tower, which I tried to get out with some canned air. It still does not work. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Rango

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:25 AM

Of the top of my head I can answer one question. The fan on your computer is designed to operate only when needed, well most HP's are yours may be different. So it will turn on during booting and then turn off and only turn back on when its needed. This helps the computer remain quiet under light loads. Your computer may be overheating but I suspect a windows problem since it gets past the P.O.S.T screen and you mentioned problems with shutting down. You should try a windows repair install here is a tutorial.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 RangoTheClown

RangoTheClown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:05 AM

Well, actually, what I was trying to say is that now I can't even boot up into windows. It does not get past the very first screen (the one that displays the HP logo. I can't get into the boot menu, recovery console or BIOS or anything. Basically, I can't do anything on the computer.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

How well did you clean with the canned air? Try removing the fan from the heatsink and get between the fins real good. Do you even hear a POST beep when you first start the computer?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:58 PM

After following marks suggestion. If the computer doesn't pass the post test and If you can't get into the bios menu, I would start with the basics. unplug all of the drives from the motherboard, remove all the add-on cards. Leave only the processor and the ram installed, ( according to the system specs your video is on the motherboard) try and boot the system this way and see if you can enter the bios menu. Post back your results and we can go from there.

System specs found on Hp.Com
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 RangoTheClown

RangoTheClown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:39 PM

Come to find out the motherboard is messed up and probably not worth fixing at this point. Thanks both for your help, though.

Edited by RangoTheClown, 21 October 2007 - 05:40 PM.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:12 PM

That sucks, if you have any questions on upgrading or choosing a new PC let us know.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users