Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build Had Problems Most Fixed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:52 PM

Finally my first build for myself (I've built for a friend and gave a parts list to another). Anyways my new build was having so many problems. First it wasn't doing anything at all when I tried to turn it on. Then I found out the motherboard kept getting grounded out. So I rescrewed in the motherboard, and was getting some life. It would then turn on for like half a second then turn off. Then I found out it was still being ground out so I took out about half the screws and loosenedthe rest in there. Now it was staying on for a couple minutes, but was overheating.

I applied new thermal paste (small amount, evenly spread) and put my thermaltake heatsink on. I hooked it all up and the bios was saying my processor temperature was going up like 2 degrees celsius every second and it went pass 100 celsius and I just turned it off. I cleaned the processor/heatsink, put new thermal paste on and put the heatsink back on. It seemed to be working fine now. So I decide to hook the screen up and its no longer giving me video! This is making me go nuts! So I try some different things and nothing. I try putting my motherboard back in again, and it kept grounding out unless I only have like 5 screws in very loose.

So my problem now is I get no display. I think this case (apevia X-cruiser) keeps grounding out my motherboard (XFX nvidia 650i)

I know the processor and power supply work. I think its still grounding out. It's doing the thing where it flickers on then right off in less then a second. I really appreciate any help, I'm getting very frustrated and have spent over 10 hours just trying to get this to work.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:13 PM

With the mobo out, look where the board mounts. Sometimes there's a protrusion in the metal that might contact the mobo. They sell insulated washers or you can make some out of thin rubber, for the stand-offs or even place electrical tape over the stand-offs and poke a hole through it for the screws. Tighten up the mounting screws. You want it firmly mounted. The mobo needs to be grounded but in the right places. Make sure the video card is mounted firmly and don't forget the extra power connector
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:06 PM

This is really weird. Things just got worse.... All it does now is the light will turn on the motherboard when I press the on button. Another green light will flash on and thats it. The orange light stays on, but pressing the button again does nothing. I have to flip the power switch on the psu to get it to let me press the on button again to get it just to flash the light on the motherboard... Man I'm the unluckiest person ever :thumbsup:

I'll try what you told me Garmanma. I'm getting tired now. I've been working on this thing since 3:00 P.M. today and a lot of yesterday. I've made less progress.

Edited by Sterling14, 12 October 2007 - 09:08 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:07 AM

Well I've come to the conclusion that this board is just dead. I had my thoughts about it from the reviews, and also a lot of the capicitors were bent a little.

Also, last night the battery sparked on me just by pressing the power button the case, and I could smell burning. I tried the board outside of the case in a box and its giving me the same problem where it turns on foir like half a second and automatically shuts off...

lol, this board might be staying in this box and taking a long trip to california.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:41 AM

you have doublechecked all your standoffs? those are the posts screwed into the backplate that the motherboard mounts to?

the motherboard is grounded by those screws and posts, see the little ring of silver around each hole

double check all your case wiring for continuity or shorts, cheap cases come with shorts on the usb whatever?

xfx or thermaltake is a good brand, apeiva is not

I often check a motherboard in a bench test on a bubbled plastic layer before putting in the case if I suspect issues

you just need cpu/cooler ram and video and powersupply and keyboard

a small screw driver shorting the power on leads for a second will turn the setup on

if I am using a refurb or rma openbox mobo I always clear cmos and do this benchtest
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users