Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 riverbum

riverbum

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:13 PM

I'm looking to buy a laptop and been looking at the E-Machine. I know in the past they were not very well liked but in recent times have really improved their machines. I understand the service is excellent and thats more than I can say for this Compaq Desktop.
I like what I've been reading about the E-Machine M 6805 and was wondering if anyone had any experience or opinion on this unit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 11 April 2004 - 07:30 PM

I am in total agreement with you on Compaq support. I do not have much first hand experience with emachines, but did some research after I read your posts and they have been getting extremely favorable reviews.

Gonna look into it for myself actually. If you do buy one, I would be very interested in how it goes.

#3 riverbum

riverbum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:09 AM

Well I got the emachine M 6805 laptop and it works great, well almost great. The problem I'm having is to get it to network with my desktop which is direct wired and the laptop is wireless. My son tried to talk me through it on the phone and no go. I have Zone Alarm on the desktop and even turning it off doesn't help. My son swears Zone Alarm is causing the problem and wants me to get it off but I'm not going to try that. I'm sure if its Zone Alarm causing the problem there must be a way around it. Actually when we try to network it with the desktop it messes the laptop up so bad I have to back it up. We must be doing something wrong but then while we were trying to do mine he done his and it worked fine. Thats why he thinks it's Zone Alarm. I don't.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:57 AM

Ok lets try to figure this out. Give me an idea of how your network is all setup. You have cablemodem/dsl plugged into a cable/dsl router?

Then youi have one computer plugged into that router? What type of wireless equipment do you have?

Let me know how everything is laid out so I can determine how we can help you.

#5 riverbum

riverbum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:07 PM

OK here we go. I have a D-Link DI-514 wireless router connected to a DSL modem. The Compaq desktop ( XP Home ) is connected direstly to the router and my E-machine M-6805 laptop is wireless. My son tried to talk me through it and done his at the same time, his worked and mine messed up so bad I had to back it up. I know it has to do with some kind of settings but I have a hard time understanding the terminology. I called E- Machine and they said to call the D-Link people but i COULDN'T UNDERSTAND THE LANGUAGE so I called my ISP and they said as long as I could get online with both machines there was nothing wrong with the router. I would have to get my settings right. I do have Zone Alarm but I can shut it off so I'm not sure if that program could cause a problem. It's this bridging and gateway stuff thats got me all confused during the wireless networking setup. I don't know which thing to pick out during setup. Its a real problem when your not computer savvy. I just know its something I'm doing wrong in the setup.

#6 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:11 PM

So is the problem that both machines cant talk to each other, but they can connect to the Internet?

Or can one of them not even connect to the Internet?

What IP Addresses are being assigned to the machines? Click on Start then Run and type cmd.exe and press ok. Then type ipconfig and press enter. You will see your ip address that way.

#7 riverbum

riverbum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:47 PM

They both connect to the internet but can not talk to each other.Laptop IP is
xxx.xxx.x.101 and the desktop is xxx.xxx.x.100. The subnetmask and default gateway numbers are the same on both of them. As you can see the IP address's are different with the last three numbers. Was it OK to to do my IP address like that? Didn't know if I should show my whole IP address.

#8 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:57 PM

It is ok you did the ip addresses like that. People normally do not post there ip address for security reasons if they are public routable ip addresses, but it really does not matter when people are using private ip addresses such as 192.168.1.100.

Zonealarm is definitely causing a problem, but there may be a setting on the router. What happens when you shutdown zone alarm? Can the computers talk to each other then? Make sure any firewalls you have on each computer are shutdown before you try to connect with each other.

Also make sure you are not using the integrated Windows Firewall.

If you are using a firewall, the machines will not be able to communicate with each other without creating some rules first. I will walk you through that after we determine if it is the firewall stopping you

#9 riverbum

riverbum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2004 - 04:21 PM

Ok...I see the IP address thing. Hmmmm.

Both integrated windows firewalls are shut off and so is Zone Alarm. I can ping my desktop from my wireless laptop as long as Zone Alarm is shut off. Wish I knew how to take ZA out.
PCs still can't talk to each other even with ZA shut off but then I'm not sure if I got networking set up right.

#10 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 April 2004 - 04:48 PM

OK. The fact that you have both pc's able to ping each other is important. Now what are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to share printers and files, or just be able to play games between the two?

To share files go into network device properties and make sure you have both Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Print Sharing installed and checked. Dont worry about people reaching you from the Internet on this as your D-link will block it.

Also make sure that both computers are in the same workgroup. Right click on my computer and click on computer name. They should both have the same workgroup listed.

Let me know how it works out.

#11 riverbum

riverbum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2004 - 05:43 PM

You saved the day!!!! The workgroups had different names so I made them both the same and that did it. I can get my music and pictures off the desktop now. Thank you, thank you very much. I'm going to reccomend this site to all my friends. You really are a lifesaver. Thank you again. :thumbsup:

#12 riverbum

riverbum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2004 - 05:56 PM

Oh by the way...I do have to have ZA shut off but I guess I can live with that. They say it can be a bear to take out if you aren't computer savvy. Its works fine. Again thank you.

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:00 PM

What version of zone alarm do you have? Because if you have a the pay for one, you can open up rules that will allow you to keep it running and still get the networking to work.

#14 riverbum

riverbum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:27 PM

Nope..I got the free ZA so would have to shut it off when I need too access the desktop. This wireless laptop only has AVG ( FREE ) like the desktop. Would there be another firewall program that would work better or ZA about as good as you can get. Its always worked fine for me except in this case. I would almost have to put the paid versions on both. Maybe not a bad idea.

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:33 PM

I plan on trying out kerio tomorrow at my office. I will let you know how that is and if it has the ability to make rules so you can keep it on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users