Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Past Login In Screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jamy1224

jamy1224

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:19 PM

When I boot the computer it goes to the login screen, where there are 4 user profiles/icons listed. When I move my cursor to my icon, the computer hesitates/ freezes the screen blinks black and then moves a copy of an icon from the right side of the screen to the left side. This happens every time I try to login and it never takes my password. I can never get past the windows login screen. I tried running chkdsk but it failed and it kept restarting my computer.

The only way I'm able to try and do anything is in safe mode with networking, but I'm also unable to print. My printer doesn't show up in the printer file and I haven't been able to download the drivers to re-install the printer.

I have been working with someone in the malware forum and there is no sign of malware or virus.

The system is a dell Dimension 8200, has a western digital 7200 drive, however I can't get the drive diagnostics to download to run on the system, tried copying onto a disk but am unable to open the disk. Went to Dell's Diagnostic web site and couldn't get their online diagnostic to run on my system.

Would greatly appreciate some help, have been working on this issue for almost a month, I'm not sure if this means that my hard drive is failing-

Thanks,
Jamy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:40 PM

Are the other 3 user accounts all working correctly?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jamy1224

jamy1224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

I can't access any of them from the login screen. The only way I can login is through safe mode.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:52 PM

When you're in safemode, go to Control Panel>System and click on the Hardware tab. Select Device Manager and expand all the trees ( + ) Look for any question marks or yellow exclamation points. Also go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools and open component services. Expand Event Viewer. Click on application and scroll down to the last 2 or 3 errors. You can right-click on the error and select properties and it should give you information on the specific problem. Do the same for System. Post back with what you find
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 jamy1224

jamy1224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:12 AM

The only yellow question mark I got was under other devices, pointing to my printer.
Under application the first error I recieved said Faulting application iesplorer.exe, version 7.0.6000.16512, faulty module svm.dll version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0004ed44,
teh next one I got said faulting application iesplorer.exe, version 7.0.6000.16512. faulting module mshtml. dll version 7.0.6000.16512 faul address 0x001a43cd.

The errors i recieved under system are:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
Date: 10/11/2007
Time: 10:25:59 PM
User: MILLS\Amy
Computer: MILLS
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service MSIServer with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{000C101C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10005
Date: 10/14/2007
Time: 7:18:06 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7026
Date: 10/14/2007
Time: 7:04:37 PM
User: N/A
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Avg7Core
Avg7RsW
Avg7RsXP
Fips
intelppm
OMCI

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:24 PM

The Dcom error and those pertaining to AVG are probably because of being in safemode. The error with svm.dll is for a program called Nerosolutions for Metlab. Is that installed on your computer? I'm still looking at a few other things
Mark
you could try using system file checker but you'll need an XP disk to repair any damaged files
You could also try Going into safe mode, create a new Computer Administrator level account. Then try to boot into that account in normal mode.

Edited by garmanma, 15 October 2007 - 02:44 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#7 jamy1224

jamy1224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:22 PM

I couldn't find anything called nerosolutions or metlab under a search.

I was unable to do the sfc /scannow. It would flash the C prompt screen, but there was no program to run or evaluate.

I created another account with admin privileges and rebooted in normal mode. After 10 minutes and many flahes of a black screen, i was finally able to open in normal mode- possibly becasue there was no password to enter. It ran incredibly slowly and finally after trying to launch the internet ( i admit it was soo slow i finally left the room) and when I came back- it had re-booted. I shut it down and rebooted in safe mode.

#8 Buggrit

Buggrit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:41 AM

Garmanma, It sounds like one of two things. You may have a failing disk drive or you may have some malware.

My first suggestion would be (if you can do this), log back into safe mode with networking. Back up any important files you have (Pictures, Documents, etc)

When you have done that, Run a program called Spinrite from GRC.com (its a commercial disk maintenance and recovery tool.)

If you don't have Spinrite or don't want to fork out for it, then a less reliable but still effective and above all free solution is: Open a DOS window (type CMD in the START/RUN dialogue box).

In the Black DOS window; type "chkdsk /R" without the quotes. This will set a small app. running which checks the file structure on your disk. If it finds any errors, the /R switch tells it to attempt to recover the data and then fix the error.

Please post back with your results.

#9 jamy1224

jamy1224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for your advice, but... I tried the chkdsk and it ran- forever and then shut my computer down. I re-booted and bought the Spinrite ( thinking there was a problem with my hard drive) ran the full extended version and no errors or problems were displayed.
As far as maleware that is wher I originally started and they said my system was clean and sent me here.

Thanks

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

If you can login in Safe Mode, but can't login in in normal mode - then it's something that's loading in normal mode (but not in Safe Mode) that's likely causing the issue.

The first 2 error messages that you cited refer to iesplorer.exe. I found many, many results, but all were in Spanish (I don't habla any Espanol! :thumbsup: ) The one English link that I found refers to a piece of malware - so I'd suggest checking this post to see if it helps you: http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/archiv...hp/t-18594.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 jamy1224

jamy1224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:37 AM

Sorry that should have been iexplorer.exe,( bad typing)

Event Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Date: 10/11/2007
Time: 10:30:56 PM
Description:
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16512, faulting module jvm.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0004ed44.

Event Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Date: 10/7/2007
Time: 7:10:22 PM
Description:
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16512, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 7.0.6000.16525, fault address 0x001a43cd.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:45 AM

"Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16512, faulting module jvm.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0004ed44."

Uninstall the current version and reinstall the updated version of JAVA
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#13 jamy1224

jamy1224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:04 AM

At this point I can't download the java link, but I don't think that is what is causing the problem. That was one of the errors that you asked me to provide. Do you think that it might be my hard drive, when I ran the chkdsk it shut down the whole system? Is there any other way to test it?
I'm really confused and frustrated, I've been trying to fix this for a month. :thumbsup:

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:54 AM

You can run the hard drive diagnostic tool from the mfg. of your hard drive. It will be in the download section of their website
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users