Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player Trouble

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 12 February 2005 - 01:56 PM

I really dont know why this happend, but my WPM cant play a thing, it says
it doesnt have the codec, or the file path is wrong.

Well....I have DL'd every most used codec, and it still doesnt work.
Im getting tired of this...
So does any one know of a fix, or a really good WPM replacement that can get Streaming Video?
I would prefer not to get Real Player, too much full of ...CLICK HERE crud
and other stuff I really dont care about, like radio, tv, and all the stuff, just something that can play the files I feed it, and stream.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 12 February 2005 - 02:41 PM

VLC is a excellent replacement. It comes with codecs built in so you don't have to worry about not having one installed.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#3 The Trip

The Trip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:23 AM

I like it so far
but can it plug into webpages or will I just have to stream by copy & pasting the URl?

#4 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 11:05 AM

VLC does have a mozilla plugin, but it doesn't have any controls like play or pause. If you want to try it, copy npvlc.dll and vlcintf.xpt from the mozilla folder where VLC is installed and copy it to the plugins folder of mozilla. I haven't used it much though so I don't know how it will handle streaming content.

Edited by HuckerJ, 13 February 2005 - 11:05 AM.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.

#5 The Trip

The Trip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 01:27 PM

Thanks, one last question
Is there a way to remove WMP from Fiefox?
because its still default for WMP, so It has the WMP player....which doesnt work.

#6 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:03 PM

For me, VLC handles media just by copying the plugins. According to about:plugins, npdsplay.dll is the WMP plugin and it is located in WMP's plugins folder. I tried deleting the dll, but it comes back so I don't know how to remove other then uninstalling it. Try going to about:plugins and see what plugin is set to handle stuff.

#7 sherrymyra

sherrymyra

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:41 PM

I downloaded this player because my WMP9 wouldn't play DVD's for some strange reason I can't figure out. I have downloaded all kinds of codecs but can't figure it out. So anyway the video lan player will play DVD's but there is like a grid of lines on it. all through it. Just little squares sort of. Hard to explain. Any suggestions on what I can do to either make WMP play DVD's or get Video Lan Play to play without lines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users