Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP speed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jerryc

jerryc

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 12 February 2005 - 01:43 PM

I have installed an 80 gig drive; was at the store at the right time and got a great price. Because I"m in school I wanted to multiboot and have partitioned and installed 4 OS; 98, 2K, XP, 2003 server. To do this, in most cases you have to install in order of date of OS release, and 9x series has to be before the others anyway, so 98 is first, and it's running fast. XP is noticably slower in all areas, running programs, internet, etc. I'm wondering if XP is slower because it's a larger program or if it's because it's located further in on the drive. That is, the fastest part of the drive is the outside where 98 is. The breakdown is, 5 gig 98, 5 gig 2K, 6 gig XP, 5 gig Server. Programs and files further in. Server is also slower but that's so complicated a program that maybe it's that way anyway. XP is not that far from the beginning of the drive, so any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 12 February 2005 - 03:21 PM

The larger the bloated code, the slower the OS runs. As PCs have increased their available memory, there has been less emphasis on tightly elegant code. And, as Windows has evolved, it has added more and more "enhancements," not to mention security patches.
Just my take on your question.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users