Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Real Player

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 touse

touse

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 12 February 2005 - 01:33 PM

Last december, when our computer got into hijack trouble, I removed Real Player (the freeware video software) from the computer. Now everything's cleared up I would like to reinstall it. Is it safe to do so? It is freeware, will it put any spyware or other nasties in the system? What is the latest version that I can dowload for free? Can you recommend a good site from which to download it from?

touse :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 12 February 2005 - 02:49 PM

I use Real Alternative. It's basically a hacked version of real player that doesn't take over your computer. Some people say that it is not legal though...
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2005 - 03:09 PM

Realplayer likes to "call home" a lot, but you can get around that. You can download it from Realaudio's site (look all the way right for the free version):

http://www.real.com/player/?src=realaudio

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 touse

touse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:44 PM

Thank you both for your recommendations!

John, clicking the Realaudio link gives me the following message:

Set: from variable doesn't exist

I tried a few other Realaudio links (found through Google). The same message appeared. Any suggestions?

touse

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:13 PM

The link I supplied worked for me a ( I verify all links after posting them), but here is another:

http://www.real.com/freeplayer/?rppr=rnwk

Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 22 February 2005 - 10:14 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users