Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot S&d Will Not Install.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:18 AM

I just bought and installed a new hardrive and installed xp pro. I started to install my applications and all was well until I went online and downloaded Spybot ver.1.5. It froze on installation. I should have maybe read the editor's review before downloading.

Unfortunately, the program has the tendency to lock up at times and even during the install process for this review, we encountered several errors. The ambitious feature list and functionality make Spybot - Search & Destroy a good choice for those in search of a second antispyware program, but there are others in the category that do a better job without all the bugs.

What else can I use besides Lavasoft's Ad-Aware. I'm going to miss my spybot. :thumbsup:

Edited by baso3456, 12 October 2007 - 01:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:36 AM

I downloaded and installed the new version of SpyBot with no problems. Perhaps you had a corrupt download. You should try downloading a fresh copy.

Another freeware anti-spyware program I like is SuperAntiSpyware.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:50 AM

I have put the new spybot S&D on close to 300 machines with no problems, like Budapest said, check your download.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:01 AM

Download from: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks guys. I'll give it another try.

#6 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:30 PM

Any luck baso3456?
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#7 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:36 PM

I succeded downloading and installing on two machines. Both machines gave me a white screen instead of the spybot install program for a few minutes during setup. I was patient and just let my monitor go white for a few minutes and finally my spybot application came back to the screen. I never had this happen before. I just now tried to start spybot and it takes forever to open. My floppy drive light comes on and about 1or 2 minutes after this the application starts to load. It is not working like it should and if this is how it is supposed to work, then I am not going to use it anymore. I wind up double ckicking the desktop more than once because I think the program is not responding. It is just really slow!

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:11 PM

How much ram do you have on those machines? Also, for an additional antispyware program, try SuperAntiSpyware.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:18 PM

Have you tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:04 AM

I have 512 in one machine and 256 in the other. Both have new installations of XP Pro. Both machines are slow and react exactly the same loading Spybot. Spybot always in years past took a little time to load but never like this. I'm not buying more ram just to run spybot. All my other programs run fast and furious so it is spybot that is the problem. AdAware runs great and I may give SuperAntiSpyware a try. I ran in safemode and it took over a minute to do anything. I had to double click my spybot icon twice before it would do anything. It partially worked and tried to load on the first click because my floppy drive makes noise and light up. But thats as far as loading got. I double again and spybot will do the floppy drive thing again and then it will finally load. None of my other applications or programs make my floppy go nuts. I did download from safer-networking.org. I am giving up and uninstalling it. I appreciate all the responses. :thumbsup:

Edited by baso3456, 14 October 2007 - 12:28 AM.

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:33 AM

Just a quick comment; 512 Meg is the minimum ram that I would recommend for any windows XP machine, especially if you have all the updates. The great majority that I see now have one gig or more. Windows XP loves ram, the more it has the better the performance. You could always go back to Spybot ver 1.4, as support is not gone yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users