Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sims 2 + Hardware Acceleration?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:46 PM

Hello all.

I've been experiencing freezing issues with my Sims 2 game. I've checked everything out regarding the specs of my computer and even confirmed with EA Games that I am running a perfectly good system that should handle the game fine, yet I've still been experiencing problems.

Finally someone suggested that I try updating my sound card as a last resort. That seemed to work, thankfully! The game doesn't freeze anymore -- but I still notice that movement in the game is sometimes "jerky", for lack of a better term -- especially when I'm panning across a room with the in-game camera.

What I'm wondering is: Could my hardware acceleration level be affecting this, and might changing it have an effect? Right now my hardware acceleration is set to "full"; could it be too high for the game? And while we're at it -- I fully admit it, I don't know everything about computers, so I'm not even sure what hardware acceleration really IS, or what it does.

If anyone could possibly enlighten me, I'd love it. Thanks!

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:38 AM

Hardware acceleration means that a lot of the processes of drawing the 3d graphics are taken over by the graphics chipset/GPU instead of being run solely through the CPU. This both takes a processing load off of the CPU and allows the 3D video card to apply various programming protocols which add effects like dynamic lighting, water reflect effects, bloom, etc. Of course in order for you to take advantage of these effects you need a video card capable of handling the load.

So then, I'm not sure well Sims is going to perform for you without knowing exactly what video card you're working with. If you don't know, you can find out by going to Start > Run > dxdiag, I believe the card should be listed under a display tab.

For now, you might see performance increases if you set the game to a lower resolution.
Posted Image

#3 zaroba

zaroba

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:30 PM

even though your system might be 'perfectly good' for the game when it comes to system requirements, it doesn't mean is actually is.

assuming your sig is your pc specs, your video card doesn't look too bad, but the 1gb of ram makes me wonder.
do you have a lot of programs running in the background when you play sims 2?
if so, these could be eating up ram and causing the lag and crashing. when you play, try closing anything in the task bar that isn't actually necessary.

besides that, do you have any custom objects or camera mods in the game? i know theres lots of custom objects that are much higher detail then the games stuff. using these higher detail models will cause the game to use more ram. or if the room your panning across has a lot of objects in it, it would cause the game to need more ram to display more objects. if theres not enough ram, it has to access your hard drive to use the page file which results in a drop in fps and jerkyness.

Edited by zaroba, 17 October 2007 - 11:38 PM.

Case: Fractal Design Define XL | OS: Windows 10 - 64bit | Monitor: 3x 22" widescreen LCD
Ram: 16 gb ddr3 | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970
HDs: 64gd ssd, 2tb Seagate Barracuda | Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2500 @ 3.3GHz| PSU: 850Watt Thermaltake Black Widow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users