Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restart (in Game)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alcapwnt

alcapwnt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:04 PM

I am currently running a Gateway with:

1GB RAM
2.4 GHz Pentium 4
Windows XP Home Edition
Nvidia BFG Tech 6800 GT OC

I have virtually no problems with this set-up, unless I try to play a video game. Not any game that is extremely demanding either. Usually World of Warcraft, or Call of Duty 2. As soon as I first log into these games, I will more often than not get flecks of gray across my screen, and lately I've also been getting spots of red and green across the terrain. I know for the most part this signifies a faulty graphics card. But no matter what graphics card I put into it, it sooner or later reverts to this same issue. The main thing I'm worried about my screen will go blank and into stand-by mode, while my computer remains running when the game crashes. I then have to manually shut down the computer by holding down the power button. I received the following in my System Log:

The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

That is the only event that it logged for the crash around the time of the crash. I'm wondering if a new graphics card would help aleviate these issues. I've had cards burn up on me before, but haven't really seen the problem of the computer staying on during a crash. I was wondering if my Power Supply could be faulty. Any help on this issue will be much appreciated.

If you would like to chat with me so that I and you could have a better understanding of the problem, post in the forum and I will PM you my MSN information.

Thank you in advance

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum, and added a topic descriptor. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 11 October 2007 - 10:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:09 PM

I would certainly update your video drivers before considering alternate solutions to your problem. You can get these drivers for your video card from the manufacturer's site.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:50 PM

We would ask that you refrain from asking for assistance via Instant Messenger. The purpose of the forums is so that everyone can gain knowledge for themselves as they read. This sharing of knowledge is the basis for the existence of these forums. It's for everyone.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users