Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simpletech External Hard Drive Frozen And Clicks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 couvradman

couvradman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:03 PM

Ok...moderate computer novice...so don't laugh too hard. I have an external hard drive made by SimpleTech. Has all my music and photos on it. About 3 weeks ago, I was downloading some songs, then the computer couldn't find the E drive. Now when I try to start up the external hard drive, all it does is start to cycle (the blue light goes on, you can hear it start to spin), then there is this click and it stops. This happens repeatedly. I can't even start to worry about data recovery, because my PC can't find the blasted hard drive.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:59 PM

The click is one of two things its the Read/write head slamming into something, or its the spindle motor tying up, either way the drive sounds like its toast :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

I have actually had this click no access problem with a faulty USB cable.

In any case I would do two things. First maybe try slaving the drive directly onto the motherboard and then secondly try running its maker's diagnostics on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users