Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator Permission

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:51 PM

I wanted to save a photo download I received in E-mail to CD, when I tried I was messaged that I did not have permission to save in this directory. See Administrator to obtain permission.

I am the administrator, can any one tell me how to do this ?

Thanks in advance !

Jove

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:17 PM

I don't think you can save anything to blank media (since burning requires a separate program function).

I've not tried to save anything to CD. I save to a hard drive and then burn a CD since they are two different functions.

http://www.students.ucs.ed.ac.uk/helpdesk/...documentID=2745

Louis

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:36 PM

Louis,
Thanks for your reply, although I am not sure how this answeres my question.

Of course, anyone who saves files, (in the "save as" drop down menue), to a CD, from the computer will I'm sure, always have to copy or save, them to the CD, Drive. Not thinking there was any other way, of understanding that, I must have somehow over looked something. I appreciate your efforts in explaining this.

In any case I am still looking for an answer to my original question, . .

I was messaged that I did not have permission to save in this directory. See Administrator to obtain permission.

I am the administrator, can any one tell me how to do this ?

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:59 AM

It's a badly written error message.

You cannot save directly to a CD from the Save as boxes if you are using the Windwos XP CD Burning software.
Save the files to My documents (or somewhere appropriate).
Open My Computer
Select the files that you want to put on CD. (CTRL + Click to select more than one file)
Right Click -> Copy
Open your CD-Writer in My Computer
Right Click -> Paste

The files should appear translucent.
If you have common task shown, click the link "Write these files to CD"
If not, Right Click, and you shuold see the same option

Follow the instructions that appear on screen.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:52 AM

Well, it sounds like a permissions problem, I have no clue.

What directory does this original message refer to?

For that matter, which version of Windows?

Louis

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

The following is the message.

Posted Image

This occured when trying to download to disc, from desk top etc.

If there is a way to get permission from the administrator, this is what I do not know how to do, or activate ?

I have been having some problems with the CD drive, sometimes it does not open correctly, I have had files that are empty or not shown, I have to redo the CD take it out and put it back in, on some occassions it then displays correctly, but once a file is empty it stays that way, I dont know where the data went, and there are times it werzz in very high speed, and seems a little noisy.

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:35 PM

I thought you said you were the Administrator...

Is this a work computer (question should have been asked before now, I guess)?

Louis

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

Yes, I am the administrator, this problem happens frequently, also when saving a file to the disc, it will not allow me to do this , and a message box, reply s that this file can not be sent or saved to the CD-R, and other times to the CD-RW
Then there are times when I want to open the disc, it ask me to please insert a disc, although there is already one there. I have a feeling that this is a symptom of some type of system error, but I can't find it.

What do you mean, "Is this a work Computer " ?

Edited by Jove, 14 October 2007 - 06:00 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

It looks as though you are logged in as a user not an administrator.

Regardless, you cannot simply copy files from your desktop (or anywhere else on your computer for that matter) to a cd/dvd, you must either use the windows cd/dvd recording software or some other CD/DVD Authoring Software such as Nero. If you are planning on using cds or dvds to store, back-up or transfer files, photos, music, video, or other data on even a semi-regular basis, you should look into purchasing Nero or a similar program and learning how to use it properly.

Also you should know that there are 2 types of blank CDs that you can burn onto: CD-R (Can't erase data once it's burned onto the media and can be very cheap) and CD-RW (Data is erasable and can be written over again and again, but are relatively expensive).

In either case though you should be sure that you have a CD-Drive that is capable of writing CDs and not just reading them.
music, music music...

#10 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:32 AM

Thank you for replying to this post, This is the first I 've heard this so I'm trying to understand, I have been writing or copying files and retrieving them from disc for some years now.
I had been using a Compaq Presario 4403US, and all I ever did was either send, copy or move files from wherever to the, I assume, hard drive and after I would be notified that there were files waiting to write to the disc, . . . then I would open my computer, click on disc, and click, write these files to the disc, that was it, never really had any problems ?

But what your saying now, ( my 4403US is down at this time ) I am using a Prsario Compaq 5300US, and you are telling me that I should have some accessory equipment such as a Nero, etc, . . . correct ?

Why did I never need this before ?

But, . .thank you for information, I am tracking this down and will post later,
Jove

Edited by Jove, 15 October 2007 - 08:42 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:54 AM

I don't know what system you were using previously, but the message is pretty clear in it meaning, it will not or can not save to the location but can and will save to a different location if you want it to, click on yes. After that file is created you should be able to access it to burn to a CD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:02 AM

If you are using XP and were able to burn CDs before (sounds like you were), you shouldn't suddenly need Nero.
Try right clicking the CD icon in My computer. Select Properties, go to the recording tab and click "Enable CD Recording on this drive".

If you don't see the recording tab, your PC has forgotten that your CD drive can write CDs.

Post here if you have any more problems.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#13 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:26 PM

:thumbsup:-->
QUOTE(mike b @ Oct 14 2007, 07:56 PM) View Post
It looks as though you are logged in as a user not an administrator.

Regardless, you cannot simply copy files from your desktop (or anywhere else on your computer for that matter) to a cd/dvd, you must either use the windows cd/dvd recording software or some other CD/DVD Authoring Software such as Nero. If you are planning on using cds or dvds to store, back-up or transfer files, photos, music, video, or other data on even a semi-regular basis, you should look into purchasing Nero or a similar program and learning how to use it properly.

Also you should know that there are 2 types of blank CDs that you can burn onto: CD-R (Can't erase data once it's burned onto the media and can be very cheap) and CD-RW (Data is erasable and can be written over again and again, but are relatively expensive).

In either case though you should be sure that you have a CD-Drive that is capable of writing CDs and not just reading them.[/quote]

You have got to be kidding !

In seven years, and in using three different computers, I have never had a problem, either going to my desk top or to documents, and highlighting a file, right clicking it and sending or copying it to the inserted disk !

I never needed to burn or anything else when it was copied, I would get a message, you have files waiting to be written to your disc. I would then go to my computer, and click on the disc, and there would be the file and, instructions to write these files to the disc, clicking that the disc wizard would appear and click next and the files were written to the disc.

Having said that, can anyone, please explain what the previous is talking about.

I have some kind of poblem here and I need very much to clear it up.

When I try to copy a file to the CD from MY Documents, I get this message;

CANNOT COPY THIS FILE ON THIS CD-ROM DRIVE ARE READ ONLY. YOU CANNOT COPY OR MOVE FILES OVER TO THIS CD-ROM DRIVE.

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#14 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:47 PM

OK, . .
Here is some information that might help the problem solvers narrow the scope of the problem;

Type Vendor Model Size Interface Temperature
Fixed hard disk media Western Digital WDC WD400BB-75FJA1 39 GBytes IDE ATA 39 C (102 F)
CD-ROM Compaq COMPAQ CD-ROM CRD-8484B IDE ATAPI

Property Value
Vendor Compaq
Model COMPAQ CD-ROM CRD-8484B
Interface IDE ATAPI
Removable Yes
Location Secondary Controller - Master drive
Drive letter D
Controller Buffer Size on Drive 128 KBytes
CD Reader ROM/R/RW
CD Writer No
DVD Reader No
DVD Writer No

Hope this helps ?

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#15 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:54 PM

Also, . .
If I go to My Documents and highlite a file, then click File and send to the option box opens and the CD disc is not there, although a CD is in the tray ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users