Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device Manager Reports The Wrong Cpu Brand - Cpu-z Reports Fine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 keplenk

keplenk

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:14 PM

I need your help guys =) I have a weird problem, I'm not sure if this is important or not, but I just need your opinion or possible fixes.

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-CR140E with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6834117533

that should normally have T7100 1.8Ghz processor.

However, when I check it in my "device manager" under processors, it shows T7300 2.0Ghz (both cores) instead of T7100 1.8Ghz. When I check it under system (where you can see the index rating or press "window key + Pause" ) it shows T7100. When I installed CPU-Z, it says T7100 too. It just shows T7300 in the device manager. Does anybody know why? It's sooo weird. =( Is this bad or dangerous, I'm pretty much sure that it's not overclocked. My bios doesn't have any overclocking options. Everything is running is default and stock speed.

This is the screenshot:

Posted Image

I've attached a screenshot, but if you can't view the image, I have uploaded it to photobucket, you can just view it from there.

link: http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/ke.../cpu_report.jpg

Thanks in advance. =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:35 AM

Have you updated your Windows Experience Index? If so, then I'd suspect that Windows was reading the wrong info from the chip in Device Manager. Right click on one of the processors in Device Manager and select "Properties", then the Details tab. Scroll down through the list of details and locate both the "Friendly name" and the "Display name" - are they both listed as T7300?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 keplenk

keplenk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:57 AM

Have you updated your Windows Experience Index? If so, then I'd suspect that Windows was reading the wrong info from the chip in Device Manager. Right click on one of the processors in Device Manager and select "Properties", then the Details tab. Scroll down through the list of details and locate both the "Friendly name" and the "Display name" - are they both listed as T7300?

Hi,

THank you for your reply. Yes, I have updated my Windows Experience Index, and YES, both "Friendly name" and "Display name" displays T7300.

Additional info: I have installed a Virtual OS (Win XP) using VMware. Inside that OS, the Device Manager detects the processor correctly which is T7100. I'm just having problems with the Vista. Also, I have reformatted my hard drive too.

Thanks again.

Edited by keplenk, 13 October 2007 - 06:57 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:41 AM

Since it's a new system, I'd contact Sony for resolution about it (since they're the one's who hold your warranty). You may also want to contact Intel and/or Microsoft (I'd suspect that this is a Microsoft issue since it's seen correctly elsewhere in the OS) to see what they have to offer for solutions. This appears to be a problem that hasn't been experienced before and should probably raise some eyebrows there! :thumbsup:

Have you tried uninstalling the CPU's from the Device Manager and then rebooting to let Windows reinstall them?

FWIW - the 2 major differences between the T7100 and the T7300 are the speed (1.8 gHz vs 2.0 gHz) and the L2 cache (the T7100 has 2 mB of cache while the T7300 has 4 mB of cache)

So, there appears to be an error in Device Manager that prevents proper detection of the CPU. If uninstalling and reinstalling the CPU doesn't fix it, then I'd suspect that it's safe to just live with it. I'll be checking the laptops at work for this issue when I get back to work on Monday - if I find anything further I'll post back here (you can set the Options in the upper right of this topic to "Track this topic" and you'll be able to get email notifications about any replies to it)

Please let us know what you decide to do - and how it gets resolved (if it does).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 keplenk

keplenk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:34 PM

Since it's a new system, I'd contact Sony for resolution about it (since they're the one's who hold your warranty). You may also want to contact Intel and/or Microsoft (I'd suspect that this is a Microsoft issue since it's seen correctly elsewhere in the OS) to see what they have to offer for solutions. This appears to be a problem that hasn't been experienced before and should probably raise some eyebrows there! :thumbsup:

Have you tried uninstalling the CPU's from the Device Manager and then rebooting to let Windows reinstall them?

FWIW - the 2 major differences between the T7100 and the T7300 are the speed (1.8 gHz vs 2.0 gHz) and the L2 cache (the T7100 has 2 mB of cache while the T7300 has 4 mB of cache)

So, there appears to be an error in Device Manager that prevents proper detection of the CPU. If uninstalling and reinstalling the CPU doesn't fix it, then I'd suspect that it's safe to just live with it. I'll be checking the laptops at work for this issue when I get back to work on Monday - if I find anything further I'll post back here (you can set the Options in the upper right of this topic to "Track this topic" and you'll be able to get email notifications about any replies to it)

Please let us know what you decide to do - and how it gets resolved (if it does).

Ok. Thanks for your extended help and for the additional info. The system is running ok anyway, but I'm just curious that could this cause a major problem or stress in the CPU. CPUZ reports that it is running at 1.8ghz .. so I don't think that its stressing out. Anyway, after I post this I'm going to try the processor reinstallation from device manager. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

#6 keplenk

keplenk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 02:04 PM

usasma <<<<<<< YOURE THE MAN!!!!

THanks for reminding me about deleting it from device manager. When I was doing it, I realized why didn't I do it before (stupid of me). I guess I was not used to deleting processors from the device manager! hehehe. I usually delete stuff from there, but not the processors. Thanks for your reminder. That fixed it!
Deleting it from the device manager will surely fix it. But you have to do it one at a time for both cores. Delete 1 core, restart it. THen go back to the device manager and delete the other core then restart. I did both at the same time, when I restarted (it was kinda funny), 1 core reported 1.8 and the other is 2.0. I forgot to make a screenshot. =)

Well, I think this is it. Thanks for your help. Thanks for reminding me with that simple step. I totally missed it man!

Thanks again! more power :thumbsup:

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:55 PM

I'm glad to hear that you fixed it! Thanks for letting us know the resolution!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users