Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Doing A Clean Install

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 EdithBunker

EdithBunker

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

I started a topic awhile ago, asking for direction concerning my son's computer.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/111380/slow-computer-getting-black-screen/

I got some great advice, and decided I would do a clean install, and spent a few days backing up files, etc. We had to work out the right timing also, because this is the computer my son does his homeschool on. So today I am starting, and dug out all my cds I've kept each time we've purchased a computer or any software we've gotten.

First problem: I don't see any license keys--I thought they were on the paper cds cases. So, I can't use them if i don't have a license key can I? Is there a way to find out what the key is on my computer before I wipe it?

Second problem: I don't know which set of cds goes to my computer! I have three sets of restore cds--two of them go to a couple laptops we don't have anymore.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Also this computer doesn't have a floppy slot, so i can't start up the computer from a floppy--if that matters

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:02 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

To recover your Key, Visit Here, follow the instructions and you will be able to save the key to disc or were ever you so wish.

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

Thanks, Tony! I kept searching and found we'd put the sticker on the tower--duh! LOL! I found the cds for my microsoftworks, and that has the license key sticker on the case.

How 'bout the different sets of recovery cds? does it matter which one I use? Two sets have 4 discs, and one set had two cds--I think that is goes to one of the laptops.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

The Belarc Advisor will give you the keys for a few different things installed on the computer. If you set your computer so the cd player won't autorun. Insert the recovery cd and right-click on the drive in My Computer and select properties. It should tell you which computer it's for
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:50 PM

DARN! The restore cds are for a notebook! My computer is a desktop. As far as I know, I don't have any other quick restore recovery cds! I have three sets here, and they are all for notebooks! I have no idea what became of the system recovery discs we got with the computer. It's possible my hubby sent them back with the laptops he had from the company he worked for. (The company supplied his work computer, and replaced the laptop two different times, each time, they wanted the old one back).

These restore cds are a set of 4, they say on the label Compaq QuickRestore System Recovery CD Windows XP Home SP1
then: "only for distribution with a Compaq PC"

Nowhere on the label does it say which model the cds go with. When I did Mark's instructions to click properties on the drive when the cd was inserted, it only came up saying System recovery cd, didn't say which model.

So I booted up the 'puter with the cd in, and started it up. Thankfully before it did anything a screen came up telling me it would wipe the hard drive clean of any programs i had installed. There was a drawing of a laptop computer, and it said "notebook" somewhere in the warning about "was i sure I wanted to proceed". I exited, and the computer is none worse for the wear, but how do i get recovery cds now, when the computer is so old?

:thumbsup: :flowers: What do I do NOW?? :trumpet:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:02 PM

No one needs recovery CDs.

What you need are:

a. A valid copy of XP on CD. This can be a burned copy from someone else with an OEM version (since yours originally was an OEM version).

b. A valid license/key which can be used to install XP.

c. A program for backing up your system.

A valid copy of XP can be obtained from anyone with an MS OEM version CD. I have a few of these and use copies on the various systems which I have procured through the last 11 years (for self and friends).

You claim to have the license.

Backup programs are dime a dozen, buy one which matches you.

Of course, you can always contact the system manufacturer or try eBay or just google for such.

Louis

#7 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:35 PM

hamluis, thanks-- I didn't know if I could use the windows cd I had--it was a burned copy from a different computer (an OEM version) and I didn't know if the license keys were somehow written into the programming.

I had already done the back ups, so that was okay.

I didn't see your reply before I went to the HP website to try and find if they had cds I could purchase. Come to find out, I never got cds with THIS computer. Built right into this computer is a means to burn my own. I had to burn 6 cds, it took about a half hour each. When i was done, I went back to HP to find out what to do with them. Hmmmmm, all I had to do was click a restore choice from the HP tools-- I chose the "destructive" restore so that it was rest back to it's origional factory condition.

Which means it only has SP1, an old version of IE, needs tons of updates, etc.

And i can't get it to connect to the internet! I dunno if anyone will see my plea for more help here in this thread, I'll give it a little while. . .

Here is what I have done. Run the internet connection wizard, upgraded the driver for the network card, plugged the computer directly into the cable modem.

NO CONNECTION!

Is there something else I need to do?

(Long story, but I'm dealing with a second problem and that is with our router, I have a thread about that in networking, Right now, I can only get internet access on our computers by plugging in one computer at a time directly to the modem)

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:44 PM

Well...I would use the router, rather than plug directly into the modem. And I would make sure that I have the wires correctly plugged in for such an arrangement to work.

I have more protection if I use the router.

Plugging everything in is only part of the process. Did you run through the Network/Internet Connection Wizard and tell it how you intend to connect to the Interet? If you use the router, it's "residential gateway".

Louis

#9 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:06 PM

Loius, I am connected through the moden at Comcast's instructions. They tell me the problem is with Linksys--the router. Linksys tells me the problem is with Comcast! :flowers:

The reason Comcast told me to connect through the modem was to find out if the connection worked when bypassing the router. My internet connection was extremely slow once we'd hooked up the router--most times a browser page wouldn't even load. So they had me bypass the router. When I got a fast connection, that "proved" to them the problem was Linksys', and i had to call Linksys. So the only way I could get a connection was with ONE computer at a time, and only if I connect that computer directly to the modem. :thumbsup:

I called Linksys this morning. They took me through a couple checks, had me download some .bin file (that wouldn't open), asked a few questions, and concluded the problem was in my modem. They called it a speed incompatability problem. The modem is too fast for the router. He tells me i need to call Comcast and have them slow the speed down on the modem.

I call Comcast and tell them about the call to Linksys and ask if they can slow the modem speed. The tech laughs--there is no speed adjustment. He then tells me they could resolve the whole problem if I have them come out and set up one of THEIR routers-- and that they can even fix the wireless connection problem we're having (another thread I have currently going on in the networking forum)--for a mere $180! Not gonna happen any time soon, as my hubby is unemployed at this time.

So I think I have three probelms going on right now. The whole internet hookup, my hubby's wireless card, and my son's computer--which works wonderfully now that I did the clean install--except I can't figure out how to connect it to the internet with the router down, and it just won't connect via the modem. I did run the internet connection wizard, there was no "residential gateway" choice. Maybe I didn't go to the right place?

I probably won't reply back tonight, I have a job I have to get to, and when I get back it will be too late to get on the 'puter.
I'll check back tomorrow.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:21 AM

Uuuhhh...the residential gateway choice is there. Even if the connection itself is not there, the NW lists the same options every time.

http://www.petri.co.il/what's_network_..._windows_xp.htm

As for the "he said, she said" conversations you had...it all sounds like ignorance to me.

I've never heard of a modem being too fast for a router...and the fact that the router previously worked belies that as an explanation of anything.

And Comcast...is just in business to make money :thumbsup:. If the router truly needs replacement, the smart thing to do is simply to go out and buy one...install it yourself, since there is nothing to doing so.

How about some specs on this modem and router...I love beating intentionally erroneous statements (by someone allegedly trying to help) into the ground :flowers:.

Louis

#11 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:16 AM

Sorry, I did finally see the residential gateway choice.

Well, everything is working now. This is embarrassing.

Long story short:
Evidently the problem was with the ethernet cord between the router and the modem. I had a new one on there, but evidently that was faulty--I plugged in an old one I had lying around and voila! we were connected!

I'd use a red-faced smiley if there was one! LOL!

I have a question about finishing up the upgrades after the clean install. All the extras HP puts in there that I didn't ask for.
In all programs > Online Services. I've got all these offers to sign up to the internet from
AOL,
AOL Canada,
CompuServe,
Easy Internet Signup,
"get High-speed internet", and
MSN Explorer.
These are not in add/remove programs, and I'm guessing just deleting the icons in the all programs doesn't get rid of them. Can i get rid of them?

Do I need MSN Explorer?

Also is a 60 day trial version of Norton, along with it's Spamsubtract and pop-subtract and a "norton personal firewall install".
We were using Avast! with no problems and would like to go back to that, but I remember having trouble uninstalling Norton-- it wouldn't go away. I think I had to call them and they gave me some key or something to completely uninstall them.

There are also choices for online backup and password manager--I'm wondering if those are worth keeping. Or would they end up being a security risk?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:33 AM

Honestly, it's your call on what takes up time on your system :thumbsup:.

That said, I will state:

a. A trial version of NAV is not worth time/energy. I like NAV, used NAV/NIS until last year on one system...but there really isn't any point in a home user paying for AV today when there are several free ones that do the job reliably. Corporate/business use is a different matter.

b. MSN Explorer is one of the first things (along with indexing and system restore and Messenger) that I stop, once I have completed my install of XP, set up a firewall, and have visited the WinUpdate site. If there is no entry in Add/Remove, just delete the folders that the shortcuts point to. MSN Explorer can be found in Add/Remove Windows Components (along with Windows Messenger).

c. I fail to see the security involved in putting my passwords online. I like to keep them to myself and handy at all times.

d. Online backup...just adds one more intermediate step to successfully doing something that should take most of us minutes at home. Yes, it provides the factor of physical isolation from the user...but I don't consider that a good thing. If something happens to destroy where I live, I think that computer backups will be low on my priority list.

Opinions (of other individuals) on these things will vary...

Louis

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:25 AM

Here's a program to get rid of all the preinstalled junk http://pcdecrapifier.com/download
If you decide to remove Norton: Norton Removal Tool
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:39 AM

hamluis, Thanks for your input.
I definately didn't want all the free offers for internet! I'm not sure i understood correctly about deleting the folder. I knew that just delting the shortcut in the all programs list, wouldn't remove them, but when i clicked the icon, I didn't get a folder. I used my windows explorer and found it, and deleted the folder. I think i did something wrong, because later, I couldn't find the standard games (solitaire, etc) I think I did that a different time than the deleting of the free internet sign ups, though.

Thankfully, I had my handy-dandy WinXP cd, and got the games back. (Probably the free offers too! LOL)

I thought the same thing about the online password thingy--didn't make sense to me! And as far as i understand, backup is just putting your files and stuff onto cds or a pen drive every once in awhile, right? Even Edith can do that!!

I'm definately getting rid of Norton. The newly redone computer is already acting squirrlelly--hangs in starting up programs, the mouse is jerky, lots of annoyances. I did run a AV scan, just in case, but this was how it was acting last time I had Norton on it. This computer only has 40 (is it GB?) of hard drive space and 256 RAM. and it never has liked Norton!

Thank you, garmanma, for the link to get rid of Norton! We'll be up and running AVAST! in a few minutes!
I dl the decrapifier, and don't think I'll keep it. I read all about it on their page, what it promises and all, but when i ran it, it only suggested getting rid of Norton and a Java update--didn't deteck the free AOL garbage and stuff. I do appreciate the link though-- it was worth a try!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users