Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Hp Owner Issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PrincessBene

PrincessBene

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

Yes, embarassingly so, I have issues with changng all of my file path names. When I purchased my computer new the business had already installed the OS, etc. So whenever I save ANY document, the crazy file name includes "HP_Owner" to my dismay. I have already tried to do a regedit, yet file names still have the dreaded HP Owner scar. Here's a lovely example: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\article.rtf. See?! :thumbsup: Quite maddening to me. So how would I change that so my name appears as author and document owner?
Whatever-or whoever, you do..be good!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:16 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

My first thought is that if you right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop, scroll to properties and see who the computer is registered to. Does it by any chance say Registered to HP_Owner ?

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

My first thought is that if you right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop, scroll to properties and see who the computer is registered to. Does it by any chance say Registered to HP_Owner ?

Regards,

Tony.

If that's the case, there is a registry edit to change it
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 11 October 2007 - 03:44 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:25 PM

When I install my MS OEM version of XP, I am given the choice of setting up a logon.

If I don't bother to do so with my name, I am greeted with OWNER for my Docs & Settings folders. If I do so, I am greeted with Louis as my user account name.

Check your user accounts and see what is listed there. It can be changed (Change My Name).

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:55 PM

Create a new account and use that. Changing the folder name of HP_Owner may work and it may not - take your chances.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Bugballou

Bugballou

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:49 PM

Sorry if I missed the point, but I believe you need to change two of this keys string values in the registry,
Start>Run>regedit>OK
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
Change the string values of RegisteredOwner and RegisteredOrganization.
Probably just change RegisteredOwner and data blank for RegisteredOrganization.
Bug

#7 PrincessBene

PrincessBene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:15 PM

Bug,
Thanks for your help so far. Indeed, I browsed to the regedit and located the default user name and edited it. However, even after clicking okay the change did not remain so my files still read HP_Owner. I'm wondering if there is another string I am to change at the same time?

Damsel in Distress

#8 PrincessBene

PrincessBene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:20 PM

And to Dearest Mark,
Yes, you are dangling a regedit carrot in front of me. Humbly I ask if you'd be so kind as to guide me through the process of doing the necessary edits I'd gratefully appreciate your expertise. As I've explained to Bug, although I did a regedit it did not remain edited once I close the registry. So perhaps there is another edit I'm supposed to utilize? Thanks in advance for your help.

Damsel in Distress

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:27 PM

On this site, the instructions are provided. At the end he offers a small application to automate the proccess
Mark
Guess I should enter the site, huh?
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/owner.htm

Edited by garmanma, 12 October 2007 - 01:29 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users