Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 viewmate

viewmate

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:21 PM

:thumbsup: can i use a router to solve my problem of no access to a modem port on my old computer to have a dsl internet connection that way or if u have any other sugestions i would like to hear them thank you.

Moved from the 95\98\ME Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 13 October 2007 - 03:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:56 PM

Can you describe it a little more? What problems are you having?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 viewmate

viewmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:09 PM

when u do'nt have a hi speed modem port on your computer (old p/c) is there any other way to make the modem or hi speed internet connection (dsl). i was quessing maybe i would be able to use a router to get around the problem of not having a port to connect the modem to and use a router instead to access a wireless dsl hi speed internet connection via the router .

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:29 PM

Your computer needs a way to connect with the provider's modem. You can get a wireless NIC card or one that uses a CAT5 cable. Both you install in the computer
Wired
Wireless
The wired card you can go directly from the computer to the modem
For a wireless connection you will also need a wireless access point
You will need to have an open PCI slot for either one
Hope this is what you were looking for
Mark

What is the make and model of your computer?

Edited by garmanma, 11 October 2007 - 08:32 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:44 PM

Just a note:

Most Wireless router require you connect wired to setup before using it wireless feature. If you only have one computer I would use a wired port, meaning buy a PCI ethernet card to connect to you router.
You can pick up a wired card for around $13 and a wireless card for about $30 and Walmart online. You would also need a $8 ethernet cable also, for the wired.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users