Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Connect To Internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mazzamouth

mazzamouth

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:15 PM

Im using Vista and cant get to the internet.. Im connected to my network and I look and run the test and it says im connected, but i still cant get to the internet... I have no idea what to do.. I spent an 1 and 1/2 on the phone with the people from HP, she said it was my ISP .. but my PC can connect with no problems using a wire... I even tried to plug in the wire and see if that would work and I get the same message.. " Internet explorer cannot display the webpage"... somebody help me please...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:47 PM

Is your router Vista compatible? Check on the website of the router manufacturer for details.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

Ok so can you connect to the net hardwired?

Make sure you have a valid IP.

Start>type CMD in start search and in the top of the menu look for CMD, right click on it and choose "run as an administrator"> Type ipconfig in the black window and look for your IP.
You should have a 192.. IP, if you have a 169... in type in the black window "ipconfig/release" you should get a 0.0.0.0 IP. And then type "ipconfig/renew" to try and get a valid IP. after this if no valid IP is gotten, try to reset your modem, and go trough this steps again untill you get a valid one.

If you are getting connected to the modem/router but not to the net, most likely you have a 169... IP.

No luck? call your ISP, cause your modem is not giving a valid IP.

Now usasma has a very valid point, and a very common issue being experimented now.

Mav

Edited by ^MavericK!, 11 October 2007 - 07:29 PM.

#4 kimr

kimr

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:10 PM

Im using Vista and cant get to the internet.. Im connected to my network and I look and run the test and it says im connected, but i still cant get to the internet... I have no idea what to do.. I spent an 1 and 1/2 on the phone with the people from HP, she said it was my ISP .. but my PC can connect with no problems using a wire... I even tried to plug in the wire and see if that would work and I get the same message.. " Internet explorer cannot display the webpage"... somebody help me please...

I had all kinds of problems with my wireless connection when I upgraded to Vista. My router was a wireless g that is part of my dsl modem. I could connect sometimes but would get knocked off regularly.

I finally bought a new vista compatible wireless router and my connection is rock solid.

#5 hunteroriginal

hunteroriginal

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:49 AM

from time to time when im using my friend's internet it will allow connection to the network as "Local Only" which will allow network connetion but not internet, is that similar to your current issue? If so under network and shareing center you should see a line from your computer to the network to the internet, if it is local only you should see an X along the line to internet, click it and try diagnosing from there. If all else fails try power cycling your modem/router. (unplug for a min or so, plug back in)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users