Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Documents Creating Files With ~$ At The Beginning Of The Name

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mcbarton1995

mcbarton1995

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

I opened one of my folders in "My Documents" and noticed there were duplicates of a few of the files except that the first 2 letters of the file name had been replaced with ~$. (Example: Kid's List and ~$d's List) I didn't try to open the duplicate file with the funky name in case this is viral. Anyone know what would cause this? I've dealt with trojans and worms in the past and just want to make sure I don't have another. Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:05 PM

Nothing to be overly concerned about. It is a tilde file
http://www.cknow.com/faqs/What/FileNamedTildeonDesktop.html
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:32 PM

Maybe it is just a temporary file created by Microsoft Word.

"Description of how Word creates temporary files":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211632

In the article above, see the following section:

Owner File (Same Directory as Source File)

When a previously saved file is opened for editing, printing, or review, Word creates a temporary file with a .doc file name extension that begins with a tilde (~) followed by a dollar sign ($) followed by the remainder of the original file name. This temporary file holds the logon name of person opening the file and is known as the "owner file."

EDIT: At the very beginning of that article, it states that:

"The temporary files only exist during the current session of Word. When Word is shut down in a normal fashion, all temporary files are first closed and then deleted."

Perhaps you did not "shut down Word in a normal fashion"?

Edited by M..., 11 October 2007 - 04:54 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:19 PM

My experience is that they are unreadable files which are created usually when I goof up a move or copy transaction. I just delete them, since the originals all exist.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users