Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buy Vista Or Service Pack 2?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jankali

jankali

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:19 AM

This may be a dumb question but I want to make sure I purchase the right thing!!
I currently run Windows XP Pro and apparently it's not a valid or genuine copy. I don't have the disk for it...therefore, I'm unable to download the microsoft updates.
Currently, I need the Service Pack 2 and can't download it through Microsoft.
My question is, should I buy Windows Vista or Windows SP 2? Once I purchase one of them, will I be able to download them successfully on my computer without a GENUINE copy of Windows XP? How does that work. I'm thinking I'll go to Sams Club today and buy whichever will work best.
I appreciate any advice from YOU, the pros! ;) Jan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:19 AM

The first thing you have to do is make sure your computer is VISTA compatible. Either way you go, I don't believe you can upgrade a pirated copy. Not without problems,anyways. You'll have to get the full install version and reformat.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:23 AM

I would go with XP, I would stay away from Vista until they have their first service pack out.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jankali

jankali
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:44 AM

O.K., does that mean that I can go to a store, buy Windows Service Pack 2 and successfully install it? Even though my computer tells me that I don't have a licensed version of Windows XP when I try to install the updates through Microsofts site??
Or..do I need to buy a new copy of Windows XP and go from there?
HELP!! I'm so confused.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:08 AM

No. You cant just buy Service Pack 2.

Stay away from Vista for at least a year. If your computer is not brand new you wont be able to run it anyway. The system requirements are steep! I have run into lots of issues with it.

What you need to buy is Windows XP (Home is fine). It comes with Service Pack 2. Then format and reload your system with a legal copy. You will lose all your existing stuff. Basically you will be starting from scratch.
If you have not done this before I would recommend taking it to a shop and have them do it for you.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:33 AM

Yes...you will need to purchase a copy of XP. Before you install it you should back up all of your important file to CDs or DVDs, and with a new installation like this I would also suggest wiping the hdd with a utility like Kill Disk, this will completely overwrite everything on the hdd including any infections that you may have.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:09 AM

jankali,

I agree with all the suggestions for backup, etc., but there also may be a simpler way that avoids performing a complete reinstallation if you currently aren't having any problems with your system.

After you purchase a new, legal copy of XP, you may be able to update your system in a fairly simple manner, without losing any data files or having to reinstall all your other programs. You might even want to call Microsoft, explain the situation, and you may be able to purchase a new copy/key that way. Who knows, it might even be less expensive than purchasing a new copy in a retail store.

"How to Turn an Illegal Version of XP Legit":

http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/48929

"Windows Product Key Update Tool Instructions":

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/...30-fbb82811d129

Also, on that Microsoft page at the link above is a "Frequently Asked Questions" link that you might want to view.

Edited by M..., 11 October 2007 - 11:09 AM.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

The thing I have to ask is why do you think it's a pirated copy? Is it just because you don't have the CD? Most name brand computers do not come with a CD, just recovery CD's or a recovery partition, or do you know for a fact it's illegal. Of course the link M... provided will help sort this out
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 11 October 2007 - 12:52 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:40 PM

Buy a "Full Version" of XP SP2. If your copy of Windows, is indeed, illegal, you won't be able to do an upgrade.
Also, don't get Vista...it is unstable on my system even though it has all the hardware, RAM & processor requirements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users