Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mode Not Supported

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 suzeybq

suzeybq

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:07 AM

I went to turn on my computer and got the opening Windows logo, it seemed like the computer was loading then I got a message box that said Mode not supported. Help ???
I tried to reboot a couple of times but got the same thing.
Any ideas???

Thanks
S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:14 AM

This can happen if somehow the screen resolution settings got changed to something that is not supported by your monitor. The fix is to boot into Safe Mode and change the screen resolution settings.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 suzeybq

suzeybq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:58 AM

Hi Budapest... I tried the F8 method... and the screen went to the message right away again I couldn't even get to the login window. Do I need to hold down F8 or just tap the button a couple of times...thans.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:05 AM

I normally tap the F8 key repeatedly from the moment I turn on the machine.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:25 AM

I agree with Budapest, but add that you keep tapping until you see the option for safe mode.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 suzeybq

suzeybq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:52 PM

I am able to get into safe mode, I tried to change the screen settings, however when I restarted the computer I was back to the same message about the screen resolution. Where should I be making these resolution changes so that they work when I reboot ???

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:32 AM

Right click on the desktop and click Properties, and then on the Settings tab. Drag the Screen Resolution slider to the far left (normally that will be 640x480). Change the Color Quality to 256 colors. Click on the Advanced button, and then the Monitor tab of the resulting dialog box. Change the Screen refresh rate to 60 Hertz. OK your way back out, and reboot your machine. If these setting were the source of the problem, it should now be able to boot normally. Then gradually increase the settings one step at a time until you find a setting you are happy with (or you get the black screen again).

If you still get the black screen on the lowest settings reboot back into Safe Mode and update your video driver.

How to update a Windows hardware driver

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users