Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Lookin' For Some Friendly Advice On Hp A1100y

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:45 PM

Howdy,
Just your typical thirty-something ignoramus who's capitulated and is attempting to assimilate into the technological world.
Surprisingly I have been able to teach myself a considerable amount regarding registry cleaning, defragmentation and compression, my OS, network settings, internet security, and overall maintenance of my PC.
Hereís the thing; Iím looking to get the most out of this HP a1100y, including but not limited to: memory and/or processor upgrades. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.
Hereís my specs:

Win XP Pro
Intel Celeron CPU 2.80GHz
504 Mb of RAM
233 Gb Drive

I am currently not experiencing any problems whatsoever, but would like to optimize if possible.
Thank you in advance,
Illuminaughty
StarMicro.com will rip you off.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:24 PM

Hi Illuminaughty and welcome to BleepingComputer.

In two words...more RAM. That's the quickest and easiest thing that you can do to improve this system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:03 AM

First of all, thanks for taking the time to spell this stuff out for me.
Here's my next query: Do I buy a Gb and replace what's there now, or do I acquire another 512m and add to existing?
(I recognize that this may very well be the granddaddy of stupid questions) I HAVE searched for the answer to this question elsewhere but could not ascertain the specifics.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:25 AM

Your mother board has two expansion slots which will support up to 1GB per slot of DDR PC2-4200, so if you have 512MB of RAM you will either have one module of 512MB or two 256MB modules. If it's two 256MB modules you will need to replace both of them in order to increase your RAM. If it is just on module of 512MB you can add another module to increase your RAM. This brings us to the topic of running RAM in dual channel, DDR is double data rate, and if you run two RAM modules in dual channel it will double that speed again, so this is what you want to do. The modules need to be matched exactly in order to make this work, so if you have the one module or 512MB you will need to find another module with the exact specifications, preferably the same exact module from the same manufacturer. You can get this information from the module.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:06 PM

This is precisely what I wanted to know - with one last Q: Do I need to open her up to determine memory size/type/specs/manufacturer, or is that info in my system somewhere?

Oh, and is this CPU sufficient to accommodate a 100% memory increase?

Edited by Illuminaughty, 11 October 2007 - 06:10 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

Go to Crucial and use thei memory selector. Simply enter the make and model and it will show you what you need and the max. amount the computer will support. It will also tell you what video configuration you have. A nice free program that will tell you everything you need to know about the internals of you computer S.I.W.
Mark
SIW download page

Edited by garmanma, 11 October 2007 - 07:10 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:14 PM

Thank you,
I'm on it.

#8 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:22 PM

I have the one 512, if'n you was me...would you do another 512m or 1g ...or even two 1g mods? Or is that excessive?

I swear to god I'll leave you alone after this...

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:43 PM

Depends on what you want to do. Gaming, video editing, and any intensive programs will benefit by more RAM. If you're just surfing and emailing, 1 GIG is sufficient. If it's within you budget, go for 2 GIGS. I always tend to go for the minimum and kick myself a year later
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:56 PM

Ok, THIS is my final question (pinky swear):

If I have another a1100y (it's dead/ Trojan absolutely killed it) can I steal the memory from that, assuming that it's compatible?
Or is this dangerous?

#11 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:12 AM

If it's the same kind, ddr or whatever, and speed go for it. Just make sure the second stick is in all the way. If they are different speeds, say 2700 and 3200, for example, the faster speed chip will drop in speed to match the slower chip. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#12 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:18 AM

Got it.
Thanks to all for the help.

"Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities" - Voltaire