Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Vista Dual Boot On 1 Hdd

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:21 PM

I have xp MCE on my HDD using Cute Parition manager i am going to add a second partition and install vista ultimate on it, because i like some features of vista others of XP, any comments on this as im not sure if this is a good idea 2 HD boot isnt an option(wish it was, only other hdd i have is noisy)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:14 PM

Just a personal opinion...wait till the first service pack comes out. This is a bloated resource hungry system with problems yet to be resolved.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:05 AM

first service pack is already out, ive seen it on MS webiste but what is your opinon about DUAL BOOT :thumbsup: because that is the problem at hand. not vista service packs, although thankyou for your ponder

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

The SP1 for Vista is a Beta version, if you are not aware of how M$ operates allow me to enlighten you. Anything that they release in Beta form is release to the public so the public can de-bug it. You couldn't get me to use anything in Beta form from most anyone, especially M$.

Another consideration here is whether your computer is Vista compatible, if it you should be aware that as usual their suggested amount of RAM is not enough to run it up to speed. They suggest that you have 1GB or RAM but users are finding that you need at least 2GB of RAM to get it going up to speed.

I have Window XP on one partition and W2k on a second partition, the only draw back is that you have to choose the OS you wish to use at the start up if you don't want to use the first one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:49 AM

Take DC3's advice and wait. Service Pack 1 will be out 1st quarter 2008.
I have encountered lots of problems with Vista
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:57 PM

i have personally used vista as a primary OS on the computer that i would like to do the double partition with. My 1gb Kingston ram and my 2.4ghz P4 HT(acts as 2 cores) runs vista fine thats no problem. I just had to get used to vista, and some programs arent compatible with vista that i would like on my computer. And Eyesse i read that it was supposed to be out 2nd quarter of 07, what happend??? search vista sp1 on google youll see it.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:11 AM

Check out this site: Windows Vista Team Blog

We're targeting releasing SP1 to manufacturing in the first quarter of 2008

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:34 AM

The beta of SP1 for Vista was released to selected testers on the Connect website in late September.
FYI - SP3 for XP is in beta also.

Why not get a free Virtual Machine and load it on there? No need to reboot to get into the OS. FWIW - I've got XP on a VM on my Vista system and it works just as well as my previous system with XP only.

Reason for edit: Brain cramp and poor grammar :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 12 October 2007 - 07:34 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users