Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Problem Seems Related To Outlook And Help Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bestdamnwriter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:52 PM

I'm working with Windows XP Home Edition. 2 weeks ago I noticed that when I opened the help file in some programs (such as Photoshop and a multimedia compiler) that I could open the help, and I could search for a topic, but if I tried to click on the topic to go to that section, the help file would instantly close. I do not get an error message.

At the same time, I began having frequent problems with PDF documents hanging up before they could finish downloading. They freeze and I can only get out of them by doing control-alt-deleter. I do not get any error message.

1 week ago I had a problem with a new piece of software that has a data base with a browser inside. The browser opened to the software company website. I could use the browser to move inside the displayed web site, but if I typed a new URL into the browser bar and clicked "go" or "enter," the program would instantly close. This does not generate an error message. I asked the software creator for help. He replied that thousands of people use the program without incidence, and the problem was in my system. I have uninstalled this software.

A few days ago I began having problems with Outlook. It's very slow to open. I can pull in email and read it. But if I hit "reply" the program freezes and I can only get out of it by doing control-alt-delete. This happens 75% of the time when I try to reply to an email. 25% of the time it functions normally. No error message is generated.

Lastly, when I shut down, I get messages stating "this program not responding." and the name of the program. There is usually only 1 message each time I shut down, and 1 program named, usually "winward.exe" or "ms word" or" DDE Server Window."

I use a firewall, and run Avast, Ad Aware and CC Cleaner. Their system checks show no critical objects.

I'm at a complete loss. (Breaks down into tears and sobs.) Please, somebody help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:59 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the freezes.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all three categories (Application, Security, and System).

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users