Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rhombus Ram?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my RAM and would like to find out what and if different chips are Interchangeable, mine being Rhombus.

I've found out that my mother board is a MSI (MicroStar) MS-6545 (850 Pro 5) (BIOS Version: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG) with a Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.00GHz (version x86, Family 15, stepping 9, Speed 1992 MHz).

The RAM that I have in my PC are 2 Kingston KTH - ZVL600 256 MB RAM chips giving me a total of 512 MBs of RAM.

When checking out Kingston they do not manufacture this type of RAM any more making it out dated and hard to come by. They did how ever say that I need "rhombus" (sp?) RAM memory for the mother board that I have.

I've come across basically identical chips for auction on eBay the only difference being that instead of ZVL"600" they have VL"800", everything else is the same.

Can I use the VL "800" instead of the VL "600", replacing the 2 VL600s with 2 VL800s and adding 2 more VL800 chips to give me a total of 1 GB RAM? Would that work?

The general question being what is "rhombus" (sp?) memory, is memory interchangeable and where can I find what I need?

Thanks.

John

PS Also, Keith the person that I purchased my PC from suggested that I check out "Task Manager" for the CPU and the PF Usage outputs.

With my PC loaded with all the programs that I think of as basic which is about half of a 40 GB hard disk I find that the PF Usage output was generally hovering around 800 MB apparently warranting an increase in RAM memory. However, I found that my CPU would spike and sustain a peak at about a 100% more often then not causing Keith to suggest that I could use some more CPU?

What do I need to know about CPU to increase it? What is CPU for starters?
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:06 PM

Here's a link to a brief description of the memory requirements for your motherboard: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...%29&cat=RAM

From this page ( http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=pr...incat_no=1#menu ) it looks like you're limited to the 400 mHz FSB speed - so this is the fastest CPU you can get: 2.8 gHz Pentium 4 (Northwood, FSB400, L2 Cache 512KB)

CPU stands for Central Processing Unit and it's the actual "computer" in your system (the part that does the actual computing). Here's the wikipedia link for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_processing_unit
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users