Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protecting External Hdd Files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ngarskel

Ngarskel

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:27 PM

Alright, did not worry about this before and came back lastnight to find 10 GB of my media files deleted by someone. That is irritating. Does anyone know how to put a password on or encrypt an external HDD? So that even if he plugs it into his laptop he cant use it and do more of this bleep (hopefully this will also prevent him from being able to format it?)

Any help whould be appreciated.
"Fear those who find all things simple, for they will make all things difficult." -Mercedes Lackey
"There are only two infinites; The universe and stupidity."
"One man can be stupid, however if you want real bon'fid'a stupidity; their ain't nuten like teamwork."

[-AdAware-] [-Spybot S&D-] [-Webroot SpySweeper-] [-AVG Anti-Spywear-] [-SpywareGuard-] [-SpywareBlaster-][-AVG Free / Comodo Firewall -][[HijackThis!]]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:51 PM

You could use a third-party file encryption tool.
Check out the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic, under the File Encryption heading, in Post #1.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:09 PM

I just did a test with one of the Encrypters AxCrypt and its not going to do what I want. I tried to encrypt a /folder/ instead in encrpyts the files inside the folder, which you can still delete even though they're encrypted. It wont encrypt the folder to where you need a password to open/delete it.

Mabey a different program might do that? I would rather put a password on the HDD itself to where you need to enter it to be able to access it at all, Such as if you navigate to E:\ you need to enter a password to enter the directory.

Encrypting also dosent stop him from moving it to his laptop and doing Reformat -.-
"Fear those who find all things simple, for they will make all things difficult." -Mercedes Lackey
"There are only two infinites; The universe and stupidity."
"One man can be stupid, however if you want real bon'fid'a stupidity; their ain't nuten like teamwork."

[-AdAware-] [-Spybot S&D-] [-Webroot SpySweeper-] [-AVG Anti-Spywear-] [-SpywareGuard-] [-SpywareBlaster-][-AVG Free / Comodo Firewall -][[HijackThis!]]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users