Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"nicecodec"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:27 PM

Cant play my .avi movie bcoz of a new codec named "NiceCodec" which can be downloaded @ http://www..

I wanted to see a movie on my pc which i downloaded from torrent site.
In the .NFO file was saying that if I downloaded the movie from a torrent, and cannot be played, not to worry and to download this codec.

I also have installed K-Lite and AviCodecPack but still nothing.

Now the problem is, that this NiceCodec, is not so nice, coz -propably- my security Antivirus or something else, have locked the file and cannot run it.
This happens much when something is infected and I dont know which program is causing it.

Point is, that I want to see the movie!!!!! LOL

So...
1) What program or windows file is locking my files when are infected? (the popping up box says that i must have administrator rights to run it, and i am the only Admin on this computer-and only user also)
2) Is there another codec for it?
3) If I go and burn this .avi to a DVD will it play nicely on my DVD player?

Please help!

Thank you in advance, if you have any question please shoot! :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: Link disabled, to preclude possible infection. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 10 October 2007 - 01:48 PM.

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

As far as I can tell nicecodec isn't nice, nor a codec at all and wont help you watch any videos. Sounds like malware to me. If the nfo says to download it then don't trust the nfo.

Installing many codec packs is also a good way of messing up your system, and I don't trust K-Lite. It has pirated codecs and stuff. Uninstall both. Then install the nice, lightweight CCCP.

If you still can't play the file try GSpot. I scans and identifies the codecs used in an avi file.

If GSpot can't make heads nor tails of your video file then it most likely isn't a video file at all, but just bait to get you to install the malware in nicecodec.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:46 PM

I did everything you said!

I unistall my previous packs and installed the CCCP (btw i like it, its clear and has options)...

Didnt work.. :trumpet:

Then downloaded the Gspot and it said nothing for the file...

You were right. :inlove: It was bait and I am stupid :flowers:

Thanx for your help, I appreciate it :D :thumbsup:

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users