Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Mechanic V.7: I Could Use Some Help, Asap.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:04 PM

After running Registry Mechanic and it identifies problems in various "sections"..such as the Registry, Software, Shared dll's, Custom Controls and more...I don't find their Help Tutorial very clear at all about which Repair Option is "the right or best one."

By default, the Delete option is selected for all Items, but you can clear any or all of them and choose (1) Keep the Item (2) Add Value to Ignore List, or (3) Add subkey to Ignore List. Well, if it's a problem, why would I want to keep it? Conversely, apparently Delete All must not always be the best/right choice or why would they have the last two options. As to those, again, if they're problems, why would I choose to just ignore it??

Some problems detected are no brainers, like if their in temp folders, and RM gives them a Low Priority rating. Others, however are flagged as Critical problems and located in sys32, and who wants to play guessing games about deleting those? Not me.

This is very frustrating, as I'm trying to clean up any system issues, potential or otherwise, before installing any more msft updates, reinstalling WMP 11, and fixing my Realtek audio driver problem. :thumbsup:

Hopefully, someone familiar with this program can give me some guidance in short order, as I need to resolve this and move on.

Thanks,
NorCal_Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:15 PM

This is why reg. cleaners are so dangerous. I would research everyone in question using Google or whatever. If you look at the top of the forum page, you'll see tabs listing start up apps., file database and such, look there also. When in doubt, leave it alone
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

This is the reason that a lot of the folks here don't recommend registry cleaners. In order to develop a good registry cleaner you have to have detailed knowledge of the Windows Registry - and detailed knowledge of all the applications that write to it. That's too large a task for any one person. Even those cleaners developed by Microsoft have issues with repeated usage.

If you insist upon using it, then ensure that you've got a good backup (or two) of your registry - and that you know how to restore it in the event that you can't boot into Windows (that's the worst case scenario). Once that's done, make your best guess, cross your fingers and press OK to clean! :thumbsup: Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

This is why reg. cleaners are so dangerous. I would research everyone in question using Google or whatever. If you look at the top of the forum page, you'll see tabs listing start up apps., file database and such, look there also. When in doubt, leave it alone
Mark

Well, the cow's out of the barn, as the saying goes. So now what to do? I've used it 5-6 times over the past few months, and again today. It has a Restore feature, but that will only undo the last set of changes, if I understand correctly. And since running it, I've installed (again) the Realtek Audio Driver, WMP11, and other msft updates -- so I suspect all that would be undone too, since those reg settings would be gone.

I dread the thought of installing XP, because that means setting everything back up from ground zero - and I've done that on many systems. However, this is a Sony Vaio laptop, with a Restore feature that says I can restore just Windows w/o affecting my personal files, documents, pictures, email, etc. Yet what about my software for Cable internet, my Wireless Router and all those settings, to say nothing of all the other software installed on this? Wouldn't all that + any updates, including about 40 XP updates have to be reinstalled again? My guess is yes.

SonicStage will play a CD, but not WMP11, so I know it's not a hardware failure. Why the drivers work with one and not the other...I don't know, and have tried about everything I can think of, tho' I'm no expert. To me, it seems there must be a way to fix this in the Registry, whether it's pointing to a wrong file, not linked properly, perhaps it's something about Codecs, which I know little about.

Any ideas? HALP!

#5 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:22 PM

This is the reason that a lot of the folks here don't recommend registry cleaners. In order to develop a good registry cleaner you have to have detailed knowledge of the Windows Registry - and detailed knowledge of all the applications that write to it. That's too large a task for any one person. Even those cleaners developed by Microsoft have issues with repeated usage.

If you insist upon using it, then ensure that you've got a good backup (or two) of your registry - and that you know how to restore it in the event that you can't boot into Windows (that's the worst case scenario). Once that's done, make your best guess, cross your fingers and press OK to clean! :thumbsup: Good luck!

John,

I don't believe I've done any major damage to the OS. In fact, over the past week I've got this thing running 10-20 times faster. Seriously. It was taking 25 minutes to restart, now it's <2, and apps are blazing again. Literally, everything else is working superb...except I get those error msgs when it starts up, and those files are directly related to Realtek: ALCMTR.EXE and RTHDCPL.EXE, stating "App failed to initialize (0xc00000033)..." Media Player 11, Sony VAIO Media, and an audio player by InterActual all say the same thing -- that basically there's a problem with the sound card (not), or the installation, etc. Yet when I check them it says they're all working fine.

What program would you reccomend to possibly troubleshoot this? I've got Autoruns, StartupInspector and some others (I'd have to look around). Hard to believe in this day and age there's not a diagnostic tool - unlike the worthless POS troubleshooter from msft -- where you punch in what you're having a problem with, and it runs a test to figure out what's failing, etc. Would a log from HiJack help. I'm pulling my hair out here...

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:45 AM

If it's still running OK, then you haven't done any damage (IMO) - but many people (myself included) have suffered from registry cleaners. So just consider yourself lucky that it hasn't happened to you.

The files that you mention seem to be associated with your sound card (likely a RealTek card built into the motherboard). As such the "troubleshooting" is to uninstall the sound card drivers and reinstall a freshly downloaded copy of the latest version from the RealTek website.

I use 3 basic levels to replace drivers:
1) Driver's are working OK, but I've got a "hunch" that new drivers will help - just install the new one's over the old one's
2) Driver's are working OK, but I'm pretty sure that there's a problem that I can pin on that device - uninstall the old drivers and reinstall freshly downloaded one's from the manufacturer of the device.
3) Driver's that are really borked - those require either using a special driver removal tool (mostly seen with video), or a manual removal of all traces in the system. This is quite technical and requires a bunch of other tools to ensure that you've gotten everything. The easiest way to see the changes made is to use the last freeware version of Total Uninstall - but this may not reveal all of the changes (depending on how the programmer wrote the program to install them).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users