Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network File server solution?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Faqt

Faqt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 12 February 2005 - 06:02 AM

have a network comprised of: 2 client computers, both running Windows XP Pro, connected to a 5 port switch via ethernet, 1 router/firewall/gateway running Linux Smoothwall connected to 5 port switch and to cable modem.

I have another system that isn't being used (it is rather limited on hardware, main limitation being the case has noplace for a cd-rom drive, which makes OS installation a pain)

What I want to do is put two hard drives (1 20g, 1 10g) into it, and use it as file storage for the two clients....is there anyway to do this without installing an actual os and wasting all that hard drive space on a box that I don't even intend to have a monitor on?

Could I possibly format it NTFS and then use Microsoft Management Console to create a new partition then mount the empty NTFS folder?

If that isn't possible, what other possible suggestions can anybody provide? What about a small Linux distro that would allow the box to function as a file server for windows XP?
The machine has network boot as an option, so I can install an os....but I'd really like it to be something that won't require much knowledge to use, I can deal with Linux, but my roommate is pretty computer illiterate and I'm not real into spending every waking moment trying to sort out his issues (which would at least double having to learn Linux commands).

How about Active Directory and storage objects? would that be a consideration in this instance?

I'm really very open to suggestions here, I'm capable with windows operating systems and decent with Linux commands, I have a fairly firm grasp on network protocols and am VERY open to all suggestions on this.
Thank you
Faqt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 12 February 2005 - 09:06 PM

Http File Server might work for you. You can upload stuff to the computer running it through your web browser.

HTTP is an easy to use drag and drop file server for personal file sharing. It runs as a standalone executable and does not require any installation. The program is very easy to use, just drag a file into it to share it with the world. You can customize the port it is running on, specify the IP address and monitor connections from the tray icon. HFS presents the shared files on a simple HTML page, that includes the file name and size. With some HTML knowledge, you can completely customize the HTML template to meet your preference. HFS can also integrate into Windows Explorer, allowing you to easily share files from the right-click menu.

screenshot
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:16 PM

To keep it simple , put windows on it ( 98 , ME , NT , XP does not matter) and map the hard drive from the source to the target . Not high end and somewhat limilted but it is effective and can be setup in minutes . Linux also has a flavor that runs from a floppy in command line . Also simple but not for the beginner (your room mate). I have two computers at home running NT workstation that I use for that same app. I transfer files to the computers before I format and reinstall , then transfer back . They are P-I 200/128/2-8.4gHD. Old HW for a new purpose. Hope these thoughts help.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users