Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Register Office Documents On Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DrRob

DrRob

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

Event: After downloading an updated version of i tunes, system failed to boot. Restore disk resulted in windows loading but no printers available. Attempt to add a printer gives "operation could not be completed" Help and Support are not available gives " Windows installer error 1601" Attempts to print a word document causes " could not register-not possible to create links from other documents to this document"

I have tried to un register and re register msiexec.exe No joy I have also tried to remove the Windows installer via Microsoft help page. My computer reports " unable to find msi.dll file" during method 2.

please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:31 PM

If msi.dll cannot be found in the system32 directory then the installer package is damaged. Typically you could find a backup version -- but this may or may not work.

rename msiexec.exe to msiexec.bak; and if you have found msi.dll rename it msi.bak.

Then download to the hard drive and reinstall the Microsoft installer -- it should install. Report any errors exactly.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Unfortunately this may just reflect one of many issues and you may be looking at an operating system reinstall.

Edited by Rollin' Rog, 10 October 2007 - 12:34 PM.

Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#3 DrRob

DrRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:15 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. No joy. I followed instructions per method 2 step 4 but non of the three files would be recognized by the computer. I can find the file listings under C"\windows\system32\cache msi.dll msihnd.dll and msiexec so I could not change the suffix to bak or old. I tried to load the Kb893803-v2-x86 anyway and after long hold on the detail field saying inspecting, the following message was shown: Make sure the cryptographic service is running on the computer"

#4 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

Ok, that should be an easy one -- run services.msc and look for the entry for cryptographic services. Double click it; start it if not running and set the startup mode to automatic. For good measure, reboot. Now try the install again.

If it is not there we will have to do a registry patch to add it.
Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#5 DrRob

DrRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:36 PM

Thank you again but no joy. Upon inspection, Cryptographic Service status type was "automatic" and the start field was not "started". Attempt to start was followed by the following service message. " Could not start the Cryptographic Service in local computer. Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start." I repeated the process for Task Scheduler that I have also observed not to be running and the results were identical.

I have not been successful in identifying the dependency services.

#6 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:11 PM

Both services depend on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service (NOT the "Locator" one).

This service should always be on automatic and started. It is a serious issue when it isn't and can be hard to start. Let me know if it isn't.
Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#7 DrRob

DrRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:24 PM

RPC service is "starting" and automatic. RPC locater is manual and "blank". I also noticed DCOM Service Procedure is "starting" Automatic updates and Script Blocking updates are "stopping" and a long list of elements with "blank" status field of the automatic startup type.

#8 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:18 PM

Set "Automatic Updates" to Disabled for now and reboot; this could be an issue as when it fails it can cause other services to fail as well. There is a fix for it, but let's test first to see if it is involved.

I am uploading a zipped copy of the cryptographic service registry key Download it, unzip it and double click and confirm the merge to the registry. Reboot and see if it starts and stays started.

The Black Viper site here has a list of default service configurations. Let me know which ones you have that cannot be set to their defaults. A blank status window just means it is not started. Most of the ones on "manual" will be that way.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Also can you upload or copy paste a log of "silent runners". You will need to download the vbs file to your desktop or other convenient location and run it from there.

http://silentrunners.org/

Attached Files

Edited by Rollin' Rog, 12 October 2007 - 05:20 PM.

Microsoft MVP Shell/User

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users