Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing An Additional Hd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sam-my

sam-my

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:47 AM

Following the thread I posted here few days ago (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic109699-15.html)
I would like to check/test my PC and to recover (if possible) the existing files on my HD which crashed and couldn't boot.

I got an IDE Maxtor HD I would like to install in my PC (as a master drive - in lieu of the existing one), and to perform a complete installation of my OS on it. If this process will run smoothly, this will be the first "test" to ensure the issue in the thread above relates only to the damaged HD.

I will install the damage HD (IDE Western Digital drive) as a slave on the same ribbon (middle connector)
and will try to recover some of the files. Of course I will relocate the Jumpers accordingly.
My questions are as follow:
1. During the installation, the OS will allocate (name) a 'C' partition in the new HD (where the OS will be installed).
The partitions on the damaged one being already named 'C' (damaged and wiped - no OS is installed on it), 'D' and 'E', will this create any problem having a 'C' driver on both HD's?
2.Will the partitions name on the damaged HD be automatically changed (as a result of the new installed C) or do I have to do it manually? How?
3. Do I have to do any modification/reset in the Bios?

My intent is to try to save (what may be salvage) from the damaged HD and to discard it after that.

Many Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

"he partitions on the damaged one being already named 'C' (damaged and wiped - no OS is installed on it), 'D' and 'E', will this create any problem having a 'C' driver on both HD's?"
Damaged and wiped, unless I'm not understanding what you did, there are no files on the drive to save. Unless you just wiped the partition the OS was on and the files you want to recover on on a separate patition
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:07 PM

As I mentioned in my previous thread posted one week ago (where I tried to solve the issue with the HD), I couldn't get
access to the Windows. I tried to perform Windows Repair, and then Complete re-installation of the OS but with no success.
I was then suggested to clean and wipe the C drive, but all the attempts to re-install the OS were in vain. We arrived to the conclusion that the C drive is damaged beyond any possible 'repair'. But, during the OS re-installation process (prior to Drive C formating) I could see that drives
D and E still have their files (according to the empty space shown). Since I didn't alter them during above processes, I assumed that these files may be savaged. That's what I am trying to perform.
Note: when I run the OS disc I can see the HD partitions with 'C' empty, 'D' and 'E' full.
My question was, having a partition C on the damaged HD, and a second partition C generated by the OS installation on the
new installed drive I am going to install as a master HD, is not going to cause any problem.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:57 PM

If the drive is accessible by Windows it'll try and conserve the naming/boot structure on it. IMO you should leave the old drive out until you get Windows up and running correctly. Then make sure you know which drive (in the BIOS) is your new drive - then shut down, unplug the system, and put the old drive in as a slave. Take care to ensure that the system boots from the new drive and you should then be able to see the old drive in Windows Explorer (if it's still accessible).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:02 PM

Dear ALL

DONE successfully.

1. I could recover ALL the files from drives D and E
2. The computer automatically renamed the 'old' drives ('C', 'D', and 'E' )as 'F', 'G', and 'H' respectively (as I assumed) in order to prevent interference.
3. Amazing, the previous drive 'C' (now 'F') can now store files. I suppose it is partially damaged.
4. The jumper on the master drive (Maxtor HD) was set as for master drive (stand alone), and for the slave HD (Western Digital) as for 'Master w/Slave position' and not as for Slave stand alone.
5. It worth the "Tutorial"

Thanks to every one for your kind assistance, your patience, and your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users